Sunday, March 11, 2012

"Mickey Loves You"


Well I think enough time has passed for me to finally blog about a sad day a few weeks ago.  I have faced my grief, the tears have all been shed, and now I can move on.  Three Sundays ago, a day I had dreaded for a long time, finally came.  I am not sure a blog on this universe has dedicated as much space to a pillowcase (here on out known as PC) as I have over the years.  I  previously blogged about the Ayers tradition of throwing our most trusted garments into the fire when it was finally time to let them go.  This gives them a proper Viking send off.  Their loyalty and comfort always wrapped around us after a long day.  I think part of the reason we hold on to these things is because it takes us back to a previous time.  Maybe things were better then?  Loved ones, situation in life, weather, money, who knows?  Regardless, they always did fit us like that old trusted glove.  Hence the phrase, "old truste(e)d glove"  For Dad, it was a trusted set of sleepwear, or perhaps a pair of boxers.  For me it was the same pillowcase I used every night (yes we cleaned it).  I once blogged, many moons ago, that PC was about to meet his Viking cruise.  However, at the last moment, as I looked into the PC's eyes, he gave me the old look seen here:

We had a conversation very similar to that one, and PC fought to spend about another year with me.  Every night I went to bed, he was there.  But as you can see from the picture above, just like Mick, he had a lot of miles on him.  Too many miles.  After getting him out of the dryer a few weeks ago, I noticed this huge hole in him.  PC had given up, he had no fight left in him.  I knew it was time to finally let him rest.  

As I thought about our time together, I was amazed at the miles we traveled.  He first came to us around 1991 and originally belonged to Patrick.  I then took him to UK, back to my parents house, over to Dellridge, back to Lexington, then finally to Chicago.  Almost 20 years he was there for me when I slept.  

Good bye old friend, thanks for the memories.  

1 comment: