Thursday, June 12, 2014

Father

Thomas Jefferson is one of my favorite political men of our past, one that I love to take in whatever I can on him.  Lots of people from history you enjoy to read about, many that's all you can do.  TJ, is one of the few you can really walk in his footsteps.  If you have never had the privilege of walking "the grounds" of UVA, you really should make a trip.  Yes, Monticello is awesome, but so is Mr. Jefferson's University.  Mr. Jefferson wasn't a perfect man, he had his faults.  However, his vision was something that arguably may not have ever been matched in the history of America.

I think that what you put on your tombstone says a lot about what your priorities were in life.  Think of all the accomplishments that Thomas Jefferson could have put on his tombstone, and look above what actually made the cut. This is what was most important to Thomas Jefferson.  Not President of The United States.  Not 1st Secretary of State.  Not Vice President of The United States.  He thought writing our Declaration of Independence, Statute for Religious Freedom, and helping create UVA, were his greatest achievements. That speaks volumes about TJ, and I absolutely love it.  Your tombstone might be the only thing a person ever sees of you.  What would you want it to say to the person if you could no longer say it yourself?

As Eminent Supreme Recorder for SAE, I could very well be at the pinnacle of my professional career.  However, I have told anyone who will listen that being ESR will not make my tombstone.  There are two reasons for this.  1) I am going to be cremated, so I won't have a tombstone.  2) This job does not define me, validate me, or give me some sense self righteousness.  Don't get me wrong, leading this organization is an incredible honor.  Like I said, its probably all down hill professionally after this job because its an amazing position. There is no question that Sigma Alpha Epsilon is such an incredibly important part of my life, I am so just so fortunate (honored) to sit behind the desk that I do for whatever timeframe I hold the office.  However, it will not make the cut for my tombstone despite its magnitude.

If I had to think of three things that would make the cut for my tombstone, I think I would want it to read:
Husband
Father &
True Gentleman.

That's it.  I understand that to many people out there this doesn't seem like a lot.  Perhaps you would interpret that here rests a man that in life who did not accomplished much that is extraordinary.  That doesn't bother me that someone may think that.  This weekend encompasses everything that matters the most to me.  Its the girls last day of school tomorrow, Saturday is my 11th anniversary with Brooke.  I honestly can't believe its been 11 years since we said I do.  Then Sunday is Fathers Day (my parents anniversary too).  I haven't fully gotten into this holiday until very recently.  I guess its partially because I'm still learning what it actually means to be a Daddy.  I love it when I get home from work and all 4 girls (well 3 of the 4) come running to say hello.  They all scream for Daddy and give me a big hug.  Ive had lots of titles, but Daddy is the best.  This weekend though I am going to do nothing but spend it with my girls.   All weekend I am going to fully embrace my Daddyhood, and do Daddy things.Saturday we are taking Caroline downtown to Chinatown for her birthday. I was told by Caroline I am going to grill out on Sunday night.  I may get a good run in too, but I'm going to be a husband and a father. Thats it.  The two things I love the most, the two things I am most proud of.  I may not be the father of a major university, but I am the father of some pretty cool girls.




2 comments: