Saturday, December 23, 2017

My little girl.



Hi.  How is everyone? It has been awhile I know.  Someone I care about told me all my blogs were starting to sound the same.  That made me rethink the whole blog thing.  I didn't want to simply regurgitate the same ole same ole.  And yes, that comment did sting a little.

But, I have something to say.

A lot has happened since we last chatted.  The biggest things are A) I took a new job B) we moved to Nashville and C) Brooke is back in a classroom.  I could (should) probably have devoted multiple blogs to all three of those life adventures.  Despite all that, I realized I needed a break from blogging.  It isn't you, its me.  However, something has happened to make me want to return to this group therapy session.

Brooke pulls me aside last night and says..."Promise me you won't overreact."

Now, that is NEVER a good way to start a conversation. It is like telling someone to calm down.  No one has ever, in fact, calmed down by being told to calm down.

"I want to tell you something, but you need to handle it the right way. I want her to be able to come to you with these things."

Happy Friday! 

Reagan has been asked out by a boy... for the first time.

If you know me, or have read any of my prior blogs, being a father is the most important job I have ever had.  While I have made a ton of mistakes in life, those 4 girls were not one of them.  I have an equally special bond with all of them, different in many ways, but equal in the end.  But Reagan.....Reagan was my first.  

Her and I have always been close.  I think it is because she is so much like her mother.  Darn near identical.  While they sometimes argue over things, that to an outside observer would appear to be a pissing contest of who can out stubborn the other, they are so close in personality.  That is probably why I get along so well with Reagan.  She has always been...my girl. 


I fully understand, that this doesn't mean she is getting married tomorrow.  But I can't help but think about her when she could barely talk, barely walk, always wanted to sit next to Daddy, and I was all she needed. I will probably always think of them that way.  I am so glad that she has grown into a brilliant, athletic, funny, young lady, but that is also sometimes hard for me to accept.  The proverbial double edged sword.  So, it doesn't surprise me that one of her classmates has "asked her out."  Whatever the heck that means in the 6th grade.  

I am torn though. I have a large back yard and a shovel.  Do I rage, and make the problem go away? I know some SEALs that can assist in insurgent elimination. Do I ignore it and pray that it does? Or, do I acknowledge the elephant in the room? I always told my employees, and highlight in my leadership speeches, that you need to have the difficult conversations. Don't shy away from them.  That is a lot harder to do when it is your little girl.  


I am hopeful that I can have a few minutes with just her.  There are a few things I'd like to tell her.
  1. I am thankful for this young man.  He has reaffirmed what I have told you from the moment you were born.  You are a beautiful girl.
  2. It is difficult to love another in life, if you do not love yourself.  
  3. Being healthy, making good choices, and placing faith in God, will help you through life.
  4. It is more important that you be prettier on the inside, than the outside.
  5. Learn how to say no.
  6. There are a lot of insincere ways to show love.  Stay away from those.
  7. Like him or not, what he did takes courage.
  8. Let them down easy, but stick to your guns.
  9. You are, and should remain, a mystery to boys.
  10. Many of them will have negative intentions.  It is safe to assume that.
  11. You will get your heartbroken.
  12. You will break a lot more hearts.
  13. At one point my love was all you needed.  I know that is changing.
  14. No matter what happens with other men, I will always love you more than life itself.
  15. Life is hard.  Love is harder.
  16. Forgive often, but use each moment as a compass for the next.
  17. You have great examples of men in your family. PawPaw, Pop, Uncle Patrick, Uncle J, Uncle Johnny, and Uncle Austin. We have all made mistakes, but there is no excuse not to know what a good man looks like.There are 6 right there.
  18. Understand that as hard as this is for you, its pretty hard for your Daddy, too.
  19. So, for any mistakes/over reactions/rages that I might have.  I apologize ahead of time.
  20. One day, God willing, if you so desire, you will have kids of your own.  Then, and only then, you will understand.
  21. Our home will always be a retreat for you.  As will my arms.
I will try not to cry.  I will try not to be angry.  I will also try not to make this a bigger deal than it is.  

So, good luck, Reagan. Knock em dead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment