Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thanks for your service-

Meet Sarah.  Sarah is my brothers wife. Her life story is reads like a book and through a strange twist of fate, she finds herself right at home in Louisville with my brother Patrick.  There is much to brag about my sister-in-law but today I wanted to take the opportunity to brag about her being a Marine.  No she is not in active duty, but once a Marine always a Marine.  It is hard enough to be in any service, even harder to be a Marine, even harder to be a female Marine.  Sarah served 7 years in the USMC and I never miss a moment to tell my friends about her.  I'm not sure how she remembers her time in the Marines.  I have to believe it was more difficult for her than we could ever know...or want to know.  But no matter, I hope the longer she is out- the more positives she takes from her time there.  Time has the ability to erase some of the bad memories and replace them with only good and she deserves that. 

I take a lot of pride in my girls.  I swore I wouldn't be that Dad that talks about them every chance he got...and I 100% am.  The feeling I got when Reagan scored in soccer.  The joy I get from seeing Mayor Caroline shake hands and kiss babies at Seton.  The pure beauty I see in Baylor Grace's eyes, knowing she is going to be a knockout when she gets older.  You cant measure that as a proud father.  I also am proud (and lucky) to have my wife's brother to be a cop and my brother's wife to be a Marine.  I puff my chest out and swell with pride when it comes up in a conversation and I can tell people my sister in law is a marine.  Thanks Sarah.  She is a lot of things, fitness instructor, great wife, caring person but today I wanted to highlight that she was one of the few, one of the proud, she is a Marine. 

4 comments:

  1. Once again, with this post, I am reminded that my glass is truly half filled, not half empty. Of course being Irish Catholic I do know the water is polluted. Anyway--thanks to Boomer, Sarah, Patrick, Brooke and of course my bride of over 43 years for making me proud and happy. Boomer, one of the good parts of being a father is the right, no the obligation, to take pride in and brag on your kids. Your Mother and I did it and still do it with regards to our kids. You should too. We are proud of Sarah and what she has been able to do. Also do not cross her--she will kill you with one finger. Great post. Love all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice post Boom. The Marines taught me how to be a real person and I am eternally grateful for that. Mostly I am grateful for the biggest inherent blessing of my life, being born an American. The biggest gift we can give to our service members, especially those who have given so much more than I, is that awareness. Semper Fi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boomer seems to always know the best way to say things. Amazing. And, Sarah, we are all so very proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete