Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Thanks Rick!

I need to thank Rick P.  Before I do that (I suppose I already have), I need to say a few things.  I don't respect the man all that much.  It has nothing to do with him coaching that other basketball team.  I think- well at least I thought- it was great for their program and the state I live in that he was back.  Now, I am not so sure.  I could do a whole blog about how Ricky 3 Stacks has been a disappointment for the other school.  I think if you ask any of the other school's fans- if they had a rational conversation about it- they would have to agree.  Having said that, this blog isn't about his time at the other school- or really his time at THE school.

This blog is to thank him.  Back in the day when 3 Pump Chump was coaching at UK- UK regained a lot of fans from places outside of the Commonwealth.  He did a great job rebuilding this program (again not what this blog is about).  As a result of the notoriety, there were a lot of new outside fans to UK.  Those people that had very little connection to UK otherwise.  Despite what most NERDS want to tell you, sports sells most schools nationwide.  This is another huge benefit of having Coach Cal. UK went from around 20th on the cool scale in college basketball to literally, #1 by all records.  John Wall didn't hurt either.  But, back in the 90s 3 Pump did the same thing (he actually went to final fours and kept them, something Cal hasn't done yet).  Thankfully one of those random fans because of 3 Stacks was my good friend John Collias.  Growing up in Chicago, and a fan of all things sports, 3 Stacks really peaked JC's interest in UK.  So much so that John thought he was going to work for the basketball program under Coach Pitino.  Much to my disappointment (and John's) 3 Pump left for"greener" pastures the summer going into our freshman year at UK. Johnny had already decided to attend UK anyway-  and really my choice had nothing to do with the bball coach.  Personally, I am very thankful that John stuck with his choice to come to UK.  I actually didn't know John our first two years at school.  He was in one of those other fraternities (I would say dorky but I could also say ones that didn't get kicked off campus too) so our paths never crossed.  It wasn't until we got back on campus and I was obligated to attend some stupid IFC meetings did I meet John.

John was a very good leader.  I was shocked that a bunch of Southern dudes would listen to a Yankee Muslim but for the most part we did.  And to John's credit he got a lot accomplished and without question, was the second best IFC President at UK in many years.  Throughout his time as IFC President, he and I began to really form a strong relationship both politically and personally.  It did him good to have big ol mean SAE in his corner.  It did us some good as well.  But personally, I took John to be a good person- better than most.  That meant a lot to me.  John was actually someone to look up to.  Well not literally- unless of course you are from the Land of OZ- but figuratively he was. As a result we became good friends.

As you can tell too, John was always ripe for a good ribbing.  He took every joke that was made in his direction as a badge of honor.  Truth be told you could say whatever you wanted to about the man but when it came down to it he is an amazing friend. The word I most describe John with is loyal.  That is the most important word in politics, friendship, and life.  John is amazingly loyal.  He is the Godfather of one of my kids (my first was terrified of him) and has always been there for me whenever I needed him. Most importantly he always took care of Brooke on her (cough cough) drunken nights, and he cares deeply about my family.  I don't have a lot of people I consider my friend, JC is at the top of the list.  For that, I have Ricky P to thank.

PS  I forgot all about John's story from my bachelor party in New Orleans.  That is a blog in itself....another day.

4 comments:

  1. Jeez, I don't post on this blog for a month and all of a sudden there a love letter to me to get my attention?!

    Or is this a Boomer guilt trip because I didn't text you back on Sunday?

    In all seriousness, thanks for the kind words,,,, if I ever get on Match.com I am going to have to link this post to my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deacon Tim, his friendJanuary 27, 2011 at 8:09 AM

    Good post, Johnny is a good man and a good friend. We all enjoy his company but the little guy really cannot drink. I will work with him on that. He is very smart and loyal and for a liberal democrat he is the rarity--not mean or nasty and most of the time pretty rational. He does however set himself up for good ribbing. He takes it very well. He is fun to be around and I enjoy our debates. Most of the time his arguments are actually based on some intellectual thinking and occasionally a few facts. Bottom line Johnny is a "keeper" and an extended member of our family. He is always welcome in our home. Only man I know that can, at 7:00 in the morning in New Orleans make 2for1 beers sound attractive in some sleazy bar in the French Quarter.Wait a minute aren't they all. Of course there is that problem with the TV in his hotel room. Love you JC

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's also the sweetest young man in the world. Would make some girl a great husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pitino is a snake, in my head when I think of him he is always standing with a long cane that has a snake wrapped around it. J.C on the other hand, you have no cane *which means you are perfectly capable of running the mini this year* and no snake. All in all, I think you are pretty damn awesome and one of the best things about being a part of this family.

    ReplyDelete