Thursday, January 13, 2011

What a good big sis!


I used to claim that my parents loved Patrick more than me.  I never fully believed it but I liked to play that card (for the record it never got much traction).  Patrick would always reply "they should, they have known me longer."  Or I would use the card that "I was an accident."  In which case my Mom would get overly defensive and claim I was her "special gift from God."  When these situations came up, Dad would always tell me that we love our kids equally, just in different ways.  I never really understood what that meant until I had my own kids.  I can say that is 100% true.

Reagan is my BFF.  Without question.  I have made my feelings and history with her very clear on my blog before.  She was seriously like 6 months old before I could look at her and not get emotional.  It never gets old to have her say "sit beside me Dad," in almost everything we do.  She is much like her Mom and that is probably why we get along so well.  Caroline is my sweet baby.  She will look at me at dinner and say "how was your day at work, Daddy?" What 3 year old does that? She always wants to make sure your food is good, that you know she loves you, and that you aren't mad at her. She is, in almost every way possible, me.  I told her as long as she is alive, PawPaw and Daddy will never be dead.  Then there is Baylor Grace.  She has the beauty of an Angel and the spirit of the Devil.  We have our hands full with that one.  All three we love with our hearts and would give our lives for them.  But my love for each is different.

I knew Reagan was going to be a great big sis the moment she met Caroline.  Reagan was only 16 months old when Caroline came.  Younger than Baylor Grace currently is.  She couldn't talk, barely could walk, yet now she had a sister.  You never know how kids will react to that, Reagan would no longer be an only child.  When Brooke was in that hospital bed, with Caroline in her arms (a place Caroline would be for like the first two years of her life), I will never forget the moment MaMaw brought Reagan in.  Reagan looked at her Mother, looked at her new sister, and leaned over and gave Caroline a big hug.  I wouldn't believe it if I didn't have it on tape.

Brooke and I are pretty convinced that we could leave for the weekend and Reagan would take care of things.  She knows the routine, she knows where the food is, she knows how to get everyone clean, she knows it all.  If it wasn't for the height thing- she would have it made.  We couldn't have gotten luckier with kid #1, she makes it so much easier on us.  She almost always does what she should and now requires her sisters to do the same.  Sometime not having enough empathy with the fact that they are younger and not as capable.  To Reagan, that isn't an excuse.  While its tough (for anyone other than her Daddy) to get an "I love you," or get showered with kisses from her- she is extremely motherly to her sisters.  It is very touching to see.

Attached is a picture from today as they watched Curious George on TV.  After I took the picture I asked Reagan if she was okay and she said no (like duh Dad), Baylor was sitting on her.  I then asked her why she didn't tell her to get off....she simply said she didn't really care. 

You love your kids equally but different.  I love the fact that Reagan is such a good big sister to those girls.  I love the fact that while stubborn like her mother,  like her mother she cares so much to make sure everyone else is taken care of.  If I give her more than one of something- she will give the others to Caroline and Baylor without being prompted.  This isn't something taught, this isn't something she picked up, it is just who she is.  How else would a 16 month old know to do what she did in that hospital room in 2007.  Its a good thing too, because she has had a lot of practice being a Big Sis.   

4 comments:

  1. Reagan has always been that way from the very beginning Also your children each know they are loved and are generally the most secure children, except for you and your brother I have ever seen. They will disagree and fuss and fight but God help anyone who tries to mess with C or BG. Reagan will no doubt just take that bad person out. Good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something to be said about having your children close in age. They can grow up together, they can help and wathcj our for each other, and they have someone to confide in when those questions aren't the type you want to ask Mom or Dad. As parents your pride is doubled, tripled or quadrupled etc. The Lord only Blessed Kathy and me with one daughter and as she was growing up with her father traveling the world and her mother working as a nurse sometime she would ask why can't I have a baby sister, she didn't want a brother. You and Brooke are very special in several ways but especially in the amount of Love you have to share with your girls.
    May God continue to watch out over all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't need video, I have the picture in my head always of Reagan sliding out of my arms and onto Brooke's stomach (ouch) to put her arms around Caroline, give her a kiss on the head, and say, "This is MY baby sister." She's been doing that ever since as is evidenced by this picture. You have some wonderful girls there, who, as I keep telling you, will grow up to be exceptional women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom is so right! I am so proud of Reagan, I love reading your blog and hearing stories about the girls, you have so much to be thankful for. They are all such amazing kids I miss them and you guys tons!!

    ReplyDelete