Tuesday, January 18, 2011

4:30 am....do you know what your kids are doing?

Dear Lord,

I have been up since 2 this morning.  After an extremely long travel day back from PHX, I figured I would have no trouble sleeping.  I have given up on going back to bed tonight/morning.  I know I haven't publicly thanked you in a while, so I figure this is as good of time as any.  After all, you work the third shift, correct?

It is sort of funny, your help is in a lot of ways like money.  Internally we say, "if I can just get this (x amount) much money I wont need anymore."  Yet every time we reach that mark, we always want more.  I don't know how many times a free throw had been on the line and I promised to join the priesthood if it went in.  In reality I fully understand you don't really care about a sporting event (unless Notre Dame, Trinity, or UK are playing) but it never stops all of us for asking.  I also know that you have been extremely kind.  The peace in quiet I hear in my house will soon give way to music, talking, eating, walking, playing, screaming, crying, laughing, and love.  I feel so blessed to have those healthy girls.  It really is the best gift you can give and much better than beating Duke in basketball (although that is up there).  I also want to thank you for the one cooking in Brooke's belly.  Hadley had the hiccups last night- I'm not sure what I am going to do with a 4th girl.  If she is anything like Baylor Grace, you help us!  I remember when you and I talked, you know when we thought she was gone.  I prayed so hard to get her, then I prayed so hard to keep her.  Both times you answered, both times you were good.  I ask that you keep watching over them, guide them, and carry them if needs be.  Brooke is doing well and she is the "bestest." She isn't perfect (who is?) but in so many ways you have given me the perfect partner- why did I get so lucky?  If I think about all the things that can go wrong, I get paralyzed with fear or stay up all night (like right now).  So I trust in you Lord.  I know that means sometimes the free throw will clank off the rim (metaphorically speaking) but you will give me nothing we cant handle.

Like the money analogy, there is more that I pray for.  Yeah world peace is important, I wish everyone had a full belly, and Cancer sucks.  But I hope that you could throw a few breaks to my extended family and friends too.  Ones that will probably be reading this prayer to you soon.  Give good health to those who need it, money for those with bills to pay, peace for those whose life is a storm, and faith in you for those who have lost it.  Life is so much better when those around you are happy.  Sometimes those things that we all ask for wont really make us happy.  Even if the basket goes in, there is always another game or another season.  We promise to never ask again if this one thing comes true, yet we know it wont be too long before we ask again.  Human nature right?  Regardless, there is a lot going on and we could all use your help. 

I know there is probably more pressing issues but thanks for taking time to listen to me today.  I know you answering my prayers doesn't mean you will say yes but there is a reason for what you do.

Thanks- you are so very good,
Boomer

PS- We play Bama tonight, no foul trouble on our part please!

3 comments: