Thursday, October 20, 2011

There may be 7 words you can't say on TV but there are 4 you can't say in this house.

George Carlin was known for a lot of funny things, unfortunately by the end of his life he was known more for being a bitter old man.  However, when he was in his prime, one of the things he was most famous for was "the 7 words you can't say on TV."  Because I try to keep this a family blog and his 7 words rant is totally NSFW, I will let you youtube it on your own.  Well in honor of George Carlin, I wanted to let you in on the 4 words you can't say in the Ayers house.  We started this with Reagan, Caroline loved the rules, and even though we haven't really pushed it on Baylor Grace, she is the first one to call you out on it if you say these words.  Even if I am on the phone with someone from work, having an adult conversation.  She will remind me when I am off the phone that I can't say that word.  She will remind me the rest of the night that I can't say those words.  The looks from all the big girls if I say one of those dreaded words, cuts like a knife.  So what are those you ask?  Would they make a sailor blush?  Probably not, but here you go.

Stupid This word is probably the most violated word in our house (by me).  It is amazing how often stupid comes up in a normal conversation.  We instituted this rule because this word for a kid is often used in a nasty sense that ends up getting them into trouble.  We felt it was better to cut if off early so that they don't claim something or someone to be stupid, that might ultimately get them into trouble.  Stupid is the number 1 word you can't say in this house.

Hate Hate is on here for obvious reasons.  We never want to hear one sister tell the other, "I hate you!"  This has been said millions of times between and at family members with little true intent.  However, its still ugly and it is still hurtful.  We don't hate things in this house, especially each other.  No matter what context you use the word, it probably isn't worth it.  Hate is a banned word in this house.

Shut up Shut up (which I guess is two words) is not allowed to be uttered by our girls either. This is difficult to control when you hear a politician mouthing off on TV or a dog barking.  Regardless, rules are rules, and we cant say shut up in this house.  Again, our main point is we don't want the girls telling each other to shut up.  It is another way kids, and sisters, are just ugly to each other. 

No This word is sort of hit or miss.  We say no to the girls a lot, and I feel it is one of the better things a parent can say to their child.  We also want them to grow up and feel comfortable and confident enough to say no.  At this age though, they don't understand the proper context and one of the brattiest things a kid can tell her parent is NOOOOOO.  So, unless we are asking them a yes or no question- they aren't allowed to tell us no.  If we tell them to do something and they say no, they are in trouble.  I will admit, we let this one slide more than the others, but they must be cautious when they say this to us.


So while the words you can't say in my house aren't R rated and wont get you fined by the FCC, you must be careful...... if you say these words around these parts, you might get sat in the timeout corner.

2 comments:

  1. Okay. I have to comment here. I am one of the violators, too, and I have been reminded many times by the girls. And, true, BG is the Enforcer. But, yesterday I was working with a bunch of 4th graders at Locust Grove and we were discussing the letter J not being in early alphabets, someone asked why, and I said, "Well, it seems stupid, but..." Then I though of the girls and corrected myself. So, Daddy, I guess it's working; however, I do love it when they correct me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God they do not correct their PawPaw with his bad words. That is a whole different blog. (Very adult rated). Having said that I find myself, around them, being more careful of what I say so it works for all of us. Yes I know, some will say that is STUPID but I say they are a POOP-HEAD for that and I HATE it. You get the picture and NO I did not start out to do that. Guess I will SHUT UP now.

    ReplyDelete