Monday, February 6, 2012

You take the good, you take the bad....



It has been an adjustment for us, moving to Chicago.  There are so many things that are different, I don't know where to begin?  I will write about the differences of the city at some point, but today I want to talk about work.

I used to get up every morning, feed the girls, and then I would walk into the dining room for work.  When I was done working, I left the dining room.  Lunch was spent with the girls and I didn't have a commute, I was always there.  It was an amazing situation because I was always surrounded by those I love, and who loved me back.  Now it is much different.

I wake up each morning and go work out.  For the most part I still get to feed the girls breakfast, but then the chaos starts. I shower and always end up still sweating after my shower.  This is a combination of not enough time after my work out, and me hurting to get out of the house in time.   I get in my truck and drive 30 minutes to work.  Once I get to the LMT, there is always so much work waiting for me before I sit down.  I had to retrain myself to get ready (which takes time) and go to an office every day.  It had been years since I had done that and I was out of practice.  Don't get me wrong, in a short time, I have come to consider my work buddies, family too.  One of my highlights of my day is when we all go to Nippert Hall and have lunch together.  Something I am told is new since I became ESR.  I truly enjoy the people I break bread with and see throughout the day.  I feel a sense of family growing in all of us.  We may not always agree on everything, but that is okay.  That is what families do.

It always pains me to say goodbye to my girls in the morning and they never want me to leave.  I think the worst part is how little I see of them every day. When I get home around 6, i have 90 minutes before they are in bed.  I feel as though they get bigger with each passing day, and I am there less and less to see it.  They don't know what its like to have a daddy that has to go to work everyday like all the other dads do.  Their entire life, their daddy has worked from home.  It has been an adjustment for Brooke too.  She went from a mother/teacher, to a full time mother.  She needs a break by herself, but when?

Despite all the challenges I am thankful and enjoy the company of the people I leave my girls for.  They are great people, who do great work.  Being in a strange city, in a different environment, it is great to have people you feel comfortable with.  It makes the sting from leaving home hurt just a little bit less.  Just like "The Facts of Life," you take the good, you take the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment