Monday, August 30, 2010

It is all COKE!

One of the great aspects of my job is I get to travel all over the US. Ive been to places I have never heard of and places I thought I would never go.  It has been great to see all the differences in the cultures across America and gives me a better appreciation of where I come from.  In fact, in the words of Kenny Chesney, I am (more) proud to say "that's where I come from."  I will never forget the day I went to Youngstown, Ohio to give a speech wearing seersucker suit, white bucs, and a bow tie.  Talk about sticking out like a turd in a punchbowl.

Anyway- I have found one of the most debated topics is that of Coke.  I don't mean "Blow"- I am referring to the little slice of heaven that has become a global red and white icon.  Coke was invented in the late 1800's by ex-Confederate John Pemberton in Georgia.  There have been many imitators since, mainly Pepsi (also a southern cola), but none have made the impact like Coke.  Throughout the US preferences of what to drink vary but also terminology varies as well and this is what I am most interested in.  The majority of people in South call any sort of cola, Coke.  So the conversation in the South goes something like this

John Parker McGillicutty:  Want something to drink?
Bobbie Sue Johnson: Sure sweetheart- I would love a coke!
(now to many-particularly those from the North- that is the end of the conversation.  The Yankee assumes that the red and white Coke is the drink that Bobbie Sue asked for but this isnt necessarily the case.  In the South, the conversation continues)
John Parker McGillicutty: What type of coke would you like?
Bobbie Sue Johnson: Id love a Sprite.

See to us, everything is coke.  It isn't Pop, Soda, Cola, or anything else.  Coke is coke.  Sprite is coke.  Mello Yellow is coke, etc.   Now to take it one step further, most Southerners prefer Coke over Pepsi any day of the week. It is almost insulting or a tragedy when they have to slum it and drink Pepsi.  There is nothing that has the bite and the flavor of a brand new cold Coke. The only Pepsi drink that is acceptable is Mountain Dew.  Mostly out of nostalgia because it goes back to the days when Moonshine was popular and this particular drink was made in the hills of East Tennessee.  And for the record, Mountain Dew was not created by Pepsi- it was later bought by Pepsi which is how those of us who are loyal Coke drinkers can justify our preference for a Pepsi product. Also, the second main ingredient of Mountain Dew is Orange Juice, if you need a coke fix for breakfast you can get some OJ in as well with Mtn. Dew.   Dr. Pepper-which has prune juice in it- is an independent bottler so it can be paired with either Coke or Pepsi.  Dr. Pepper is sorta the Switzerland of coke. 

I am not a coffee drinker, cant stand the smell even.  With that in mind it is perfectly acceptable in the South to have a coke with breakfast.  We don't always want coffee, milk, or juice.  Tom Dement and I were having breakfast together one time (in the South) and we asked the waitress if we could have a coke with breakfast and she said "Yeah!" Almost like a Duh or hell yeah.

So there you go, if you get asked if you want a coke and you say yes- don't be shocked if the follow up questions is, "what kind?"

1 comment:

  1. so true--never screw up a coke by putting Bourbon or Whiskey in it.

    ReplyDelete