Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Things I swore I'd never do-

We all have a list of things we swore we would never do in our life.  It may be cheer for your rival team, vote for a particular party, etc.  I have a list of things I swore, under no circumstances, I would NEVER do.  It is funny- as you grow that list changes, somethings drop off some get added on.  My list has stayed pretty consistent but what has changed is my perspective on things.  The thing about "growing up," is that the things that mattered 10 years ago no longer matter.  The hills you were willing to die on then, are no longer worth the fight now.  Last night I waved the white flag on one of the bigger hills I was totally willing to die on since I was like 12- and to be honest it was great.
I swore I would never leave Louisville- I did
I swore I would never miss a holiday at my parents house- I have
I swore I would never eat organic food- we do
I swore I would never drink Diet Coke- I guess Coke Zero counts
I swore I would never drive a Mini-Van-  It is a swagger waggon thank you
This list goes on and on but as you can tell- as I have gotten older- there is less and less worth fighting over.

Not too long ago I was away on a work trip when Brooke called and said we needed to talk.  This is normally not a good thing for a lot of reasons and if I was working it had better be worth it.  As it turns out soccer sign ups were a few days away and Brooke really wanted to sign Reagan up to play.  I have protested against this time and time again.  I swore I would never allow any of my kids to play soccer, ever.  I hate soccer right up there with things like Cancer, Hitler, poverty, etc.  My response was surprising to all that know me, it was simply "whatever you girls want."  I responded this way for two reasons: 1) Because I had too much going on to really talk about it.  I suppose had she told me that she was moving away and taking my truck and Flaget I might have responded the same way. 2) Really because I didn't care and if Reagan really wanted to play- so be it.  Things long ago stopped being about me, I live in a house with 4 girls. I even went to the parents meeting and thought about dusting of my whistle and coaching her team (don't worry I got control of myself before I signed on for that).  The point is, last night was the first practice.  And in between the moments of keeping Caroline occupied and Baylor Grace off the field, and of course boredom with the game of soccer, there were moments of pure joy.  To see Reagan out there kicking the ball around, kicking it in the goal, was one of the cooler moments I have ever had.  I also understand this will be the only way any of my kids will ever play "football."  I don't think I will ever fully get behind this sport but I must say when it is your kids, you will damn near watch anything.  In the end, if Reagan (Caroline or Baylor Grace) is happy, then I am too.  

I guess the life lesson for me is that things come and go that are important in your life but the one thing we all want, in the end, is to be happy.  What defines that may change but we simply want to be happy and if a hill we were willing to die on 10 years ago makes you or someone you love happy now- then so be it.  Having said that, I will never, as long as their is a breath in me, cheer for St.X.

2 comments:

  1. Field hockey--swinging sticks and of course Rugby for girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certain that last hill will NEVER change!

    ReplyDelete