Wednesday, December 1, 2010

They generally ARE who we thought they were.



AND WE LET THEM OFF THE HOOK

I wanted to write and dedicate today's blog to a very special person in my life.  He was always there for me, even before my own Dad was (sorry Dad I get it, just a day trip to Atlanta).  He was there when loved ones past, there when new ones were born, he was there when loved ones joined "the flock," and there when we had to say we were sorry for something.  He came over almost every Sunday, spent most of the holidays with us, and love my family more than his own.  In fact he explained to everyone that we were his family because it was easier that way. 

My friend had a very difficult last few years of his life, often times alone.  In fact the thing that pains me the most was that when he was called up to the big congregation in the sky, he did so alone.  That haunts me to this day.  I would often visit him the last few years and I was touched by the fact that in his new place he had one picture on his bedroom dresser, it was a picture of me.  When he was in Louisville there were pictures of our family all over the place.  When he moved to Florida, he kept the one.  I am happy that before he passed he got to meet Reagan, he would have loved my kids as they have grown, just as he loved watching Patrick and I.

His last few years were rough, worse than he deserved.  And I will never forget that when things started going downhill with our friend- Patrick gave me some great advice.  We were at a movie- I cant remember which one- but I remember what Patrick said.  I was very upset by the way things had gone down and Patrick said "Boomer- people are never what you think they are....but generally they are pretty close."  You re right Patrick, he wasn't what I thought,  but he was pretty damned close (hence my Youtube clip above).

My friend is gone now but he has continued to given more than we could have ever hoped for or even asked for.  When some of us needed a "Hail Mary" he came through, even from heaven.  I will never forget him and I miss him deeply.  Like most Sundays at our house, with life -he had to go back to his funny farm too soon. 

Thanks TPC, Rest In Peace, you deserve it.

6 comments:

  1. Deacon Tim, his friendDecember 1, 2010 at 9:58 AM

    Hard to write anything about this through the tears. Damn good and my "Brother "and best friend for 6 years. RIP--I am a Deacon today because of him. Have to go now--must go and buy some VO and Sweet Vermouth, no kidding, in his honor. You two know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deacon Tim, his friendDecember 1, 2010 at 10:11 AM

    Wow--hard to do a post through the tears. Damn good and so true. He was my Brother and Best Friend for 36 years and I do miss him everyday. I am a Deacon today because of him. He loved us unconditionally and we owe him that as well. Have to go now. Heading to the liquor store to buy some VO and Sweet Vermouth, we have Cherries. No kidding and Boom and Patrick know why. RIP my good friend. All you ever wanted to hear from the real Boss was "Welcome my good and faithful servant" and I know damn good and well you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Love and Friendship you shared and are still sharing with TPC will never be replaced or taken away. He was and still is a very special member of your family and alway will be and he is also one of God's Chosen Few. We all have many acquaintances that we acquire during our lives but only a FEW True Friends - as your Dad and I say someone that we are willing to share a foxhole with - these friends are with us forever. YES Boomer, TPC is watching over and interceding for you and your family and he is a very important part of your family and will be kept alive by you telling your girls about him.
    When a Loved One passes and leaves this earth and their early body we celebrate their Lives and we know we will see them again.
    God Bless You and Your Family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Boomer, your posts just get better and better. Your father never had much of a family, and so we began over 40 years ago collecting family for him. TPC was his brother. He loved us all, was a member of our family, and he always will be. We must always celebrate his life. You know we used his name once for a girl's middle name. It could be done again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deacon Tim, his friendDecember 5, 2010 at 8:15 AM

    Today at OLOL I will dedicate my Mass to TPC. What a friend should be and how much better our life was because he was in it. RIP Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deacon Tim, his friendDecember 8, 2010 at 5:51 PM

    I just realized that I am a Deacon and a damn good one because of Tommy. Thank you my great friend. I love you to this day.

    ReplyDelete