Friday, September 23, 2011

The Circle of Life

Today after school Reagan had a birthday party to go to.  This was an invite from school and not from the Mom's group, meaning Reagan was the only one invited.  So, I had an afternoon with just Baylor Grace and Caroline.  Fridays are good days anyway because it allows BGA and Carolina time to play with each other while Reagan is at school.  I decided to take the girls to go see The Lion King at the movie theatre.  Now, we own this movie and I think I like it better than just about anyone else.  It isn't too high on the girls list.  They had seen this movie many times before, however this version was in 3D.  This would be their first 3D movie.  To see the animals fly across the screen, the grass move, etc. I knew it would be a great visual movie to see.  I figured Caroline would wear the glasses fine since she does already, I wasn't sure how Baylor Grace would do.  I knew that popcorn, maybe a twizzler or two, and being with Dad would be fine by them.

As we got there I was taken back by a memory of my mother taking me to see The Lion King in the movie theatre when it first came out.  I know we (as a family) went to the movies a lot,  but I don't remember going with just my Mom too often. This particular movie memory has always been a special memory tucked away in my mind.  I remember going to what was called Lowes Stonybrook and I can picture which particular theatre it was. I wondered how many times do parents get to do that? Take their own kids to a movie that their parents once took them to see.  While I was too big (probably too cool) to sit in my mothers lap during the movie, I did enjoy a wet Baylor Grace climbing on mine.  She was wet because she spilled her water all over her, then proceeded to spill her water all over the floor.  I couldn't help but think of Mufasa and his wife holding up the baby boy at the start of the movie in what I believe to be one of the better opening scenes of any movie (as seen above).  The music, the animation, everything is great.  Then the boy grows up, finds himself, finds some friends, finds a good wife, claims his throne, and has a baby at the end of the movie.  Turns out the baby is a girl.  Does this sound familiar?  I couldn't help but relate to a 17 year old Disney movie in ways I never thought possible when I saw it the first time, so long ago.  It was a shame Mom couldn't be there with us but I knew she would be proud.

We all shared popcorn, left our 3D glasses alone, Caroline sucked her thumb, and Baylor watched the movie.  It was a great time to spend with them while Reagan was at her friends birthday party. At their age they can't comprehend the fact that I was enjoying my circle of life moment with them, heck I just did at age 32.  My hope is that someday they have kids and think back to the times when their Daddy took them to see a movie.  A time when it was just them, no work, no distractions, a little bit of salt, and a little bit of sweet.  They had seen the movie lots of times before but never like this.   Truth be told, I guess the same could be said about me too.

It really is the circle of life. 

2 comments:

  1. Your father just asked me to read your blog and see if you weren't remembering it differently - more romanticized than I did. I have to say he is wrong. I remember it exactly the way you do. It is one of my all time favorite Disney movies. It teaches life and death, nature, culture and good and bad - all in a way that children can relate to - and visually it is spectacular. I also remember seeing it for the first time with you all, and I remember how excited we all were, including your brother, to go see the play, which is also wonderful. So, you had your moment with your girls, and I just had my moment again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good grief--life is a Hallmark card on this blog! LOL You two beat all--but I love you both and what you all said is so true.

    ReplyDelete