Monday, April 30, 2012

Its been a while






Since April 11th I have spent two nights in my own bed.  I have gone from Chicago, to a beautiful farm in Maryland, back to Chicago, to Lexington, to Bowling Green, back to Lexington, to Louisville, to Washington DC, back to Chicago, to Charleston, and now I sit in the Nashville airport.  I cannot wait to get home.  This trip has afforded me a lot of time to think about home and what home really means.  I am a lucky guy.  I was raised by two great parents.  I talked about them both at a dinner I was at on Saturday.  Even now, I can't speak of my parents without getting a little emotional.  I have a great big brother who always showed me the way.  Most of all I am thankful for what I am so anxious to get home to.  A wife and 4 girls that mean the world to me.  Thankfully she was raised by two great parents, and she too had a great big brother.  All of them helped set the foundation that Brooke and I now build our family on.  We have been married just about 9 years.  It hasn't always been easy. There have been times of anger, tears, and disappointment.  Mostly though, there has been love.  There was, has been, and will be, a lot of adjustments made by the both of us. Thankfully she has afforded me a lot of growing pains as I work things out. We continue to learn about each other and hopefully grow closer.  I haven't always been the husband, nor the dad, that my father taught me to be.   Im working on that though.

1 comment:

  1. You are right. Being away from home is a bitch. The reasons good men have always done it is only two-fold: one to protect this Country and two to provide the best life possible for their families. All of us and all of your girls are so very proud of you. Treasure the moments with them, as I know you do. You alone will know when it is time to no longer be a road warrior. Great blog and damn good song. Funny thing is I was going to pull your chain a little this AM about time to do another blog--you got me, in more ways than one. Love you.

    ReplyDelete