Saturday, March 26, 2011

Coming Home on Lifetime




I admit I am a total sap when it comes to my family- well just about anyone's family really.  I travel for work and it does get old very quick.  As I sit here getting ready for an early flight tomorrow, I think about the "Bye Dadddddddyyyyyyyy" I got before I left and the screams of joy when I return. One of the bright spots about this job is the moment after my plane lands and I get past security gate at an airport.  I always love to see the families waiting with signs and flowers for their loved ones.  Some are home from college, some are home from work like me, others just been away a while for no reason at all.  Regardless, even though it is almost never my own family, I love to see it.  The few times it has been my girls, I cant help but get all emotional.  It is different than the greeting at home- but magical nonetheless.

Well, I also do a lot of flying in and out of Louisville and as a result of its proximity to Ft. Knox I see lots of military men and women coming and going there.  The tearful goodbyes are difficult to watch, and the joyous reunions make you proud to be an American.  The other day (after a long trip home from Chicago) I watched a show called Coming Home on Lifetime channel. The entire show is about soldiers coming home and their loved ones who are here to welcome them back.  The ones who have the little girls who they have left behind get me the most.  It reminds me too much of my girls at home.   I cried almost through the entire show.  I know how hard it is to leave my girls for just a few days, I could not believe how hard it would be to do so a year at a time, in a war environment.  It is easy to say thanks for going over there and doing what you do.  They should be thanked for that.  The sacrifice though, leaving behind loved ones- especially kids- cannot be thanked adequately enough.  It isn't the greatest show out there but it is a very powerful one.

So if you get a chance to watch it on Sunday nights, please do so.  It reminds you that while the soldier goes off to fight a war on a foreign front- there is often a very different war going on at the home front.  While those that go off and fight deserve the utmost respect, the ones they leave behind do so as well.

2 comments:

  1. Boomer, I want to thank you for the heads up on the show Coming Home. I watched it for the first time tonight and was extremely moved by it. I do not watch a lot of television but this show has been added to my list of shows to watch along with Justified and the NCIS series (both of them). Coming Home brought back a lot of memories, a lot of them very good and some that need to be remembered.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, while we are more conscious these days of the sacrifice that the military makes for us, and we should thank them, most don't think of the fact that when one soldier goes to war, so does his whole family.

    ReplyDelete