Friday, March 18, 2011

A man's best friend

Meet Flaget- my yellow lab who turned 10 this week.  She was born during my senior year Spring Break when I was in Key West with some Fraternity brothers (yes my eventual wife was there too).  I bought her in late April of my Senior year.  I was a man now (at least I thought so) and every man should have a Lab.  From the moment I got her, she has worshiped the ground I walk on.  She would probably ignore everyone else on the planet (except PawPaw) if I am in the same room as her.  She has been virtually no trouble her entire life and is really everything you want out of a dog.  She predates my wife, 9-11, my professional careers, my two houses, my many cars, and all the kids. She is one of the last things I have from my college days. Even though Brooke didn't grow up with or around dogs, I think even part of Brooke loves Flaget.  She was so easy we got another one, and then another dog.  I have documented my failure as a owner with those dogs.  Kids came, new job came, and I just couldn't give those other dogs what they needed (both are somewhat special needs).  I know Kylie is much happier now with her new family and new kids to love on her.  I still wonder if she would remember me if she saw me.  I KNOW Rory is much happier now with her new family.  Flaget has her own room and spends most of the time in a collar to keep her from licking her paws raw but she wouldn't have it any other way.  And in fact is probably happier now that she is on her own.  Now the kids can play with her and don't have to worry about Rory accidentally hurting them.  Now she can spend all day outside without worrying about Kylie barking at everything leaf that blows in the wind.  Tonight we played fetch, then the big girls helped me give her a bath.  Then, Reagan through the ball with her even more.  It didn't matter to Reagan that the ball was drenched with slobber, she just liked playing with her.  Baylor Grace liked shouting Flaget's name and laughing while Reagan played her.  They also loved petting her when she needed a break from the running around, Flaget isn't into summer shape yet.  It was a great time had by all and she (Flaget) smells a lot better now.  She also got a new collar too.

Flaget is starting to look older in the face, she has a bad hip, a small tumor on her eye lid, and two fatty tumors on her belly.  She is getting to be an old broad, but she is my old broad.  No matter what, she loves me unconditionally, and I would be lying if I said that doesn't make me feel better on bad days.  She really couldn't be a better dog.  The girls are into feeding her and throw their uneaten food over the gate for her, something Flaget appreciates.  As the girls get older that will take more and more responsibility with the dog and will ease Brooke's burden when I am gone for work.  I think it is important for them to have A (yes I stress the A as in one) dog around for a lot of reasons.  They taught me a lot growing up and like all good friends, she teaches me still in her old age.

4 comments:

  1. Dad, Flaget's favorite, almostMarch 19, 2011 at 6:00 AM

    Flaget is a great dog. She is smart and really does love her PawPaw and her daddy. See I told you she was smart. To me her eyes always seem sad but she always tries to please you. Because of the chaos in which she was raised she is slightly neurotic, and that is why she licks her paws so much, but she is so happy when you pet her and pay attention to her.

    You are right, dogs are important and we can learn so much from them. They really do love unconditionally and would die protecting you in a heart beat. Hope the time she has left is good for her and that she is happy.

    For those who do know she is named after a great school and would have been a great Flaget Brave. No, it is not Flag-it. It is pronounced Flaseaaa. Soft g and silent t sound. Rory and Scarlett play all the time and lay together a lot and I think it is because (a) they are both wack jobs and (b) Scarlett reminds Rory of her older sister. I hope so. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Flaget BraveMarch 21, 2011 at 8:30 AM

    When Flaget comes up to me when I am siting in a chair and throws her head back and looks at me with pleading eyes "Please, please pet me" I just melt and pet her until my arm gives out. I will miss her when she is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Labs are the absolute best. Have had two and they are great companions and family members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read in "Dog Fancy" that they think being obsessive may be genetic. This would explain Rory being Rory and Flaget licking. She is a wonderful Lab and she has been faithful to you from the start. You know what I say - a house without a dog is not a home, and Flaget proves the point. Most of all she is a good girl, and that is what is most important as far as any Lab is concerned. One day, when she goes to the bridge, I hope she meets my Magic. They can sit together.

    ReplyDelete