Monday, March 7, 2011

What a story in the news.

I don't normally watch the news.  There is a lot of reasons for this, first of which- it is normally pretty depressing.  Baylor Grace and I were alone on the couch tonight and I was trying to find something on.  I decided to see what Katie Couric had to say and they had one of the best stories I had seen on the news in a while on to close the Monday night show.

Those of you who are older than me will remember this, I dont for it was before my time.  When soldiers went missing in Vietnam they used to print their name on a bracelet.  A stranger would purchase that bracelet and the point was to wear it until your soldier came home.  On the news tonight they showed a girl who got one in 1972 in her Christmas stocking and has not taken it off in about 40 years.  She never gave up hope.  Long has passed the time in which those who could come home, did.  Regardless, she kept the faith that someday James Leslie Moreland, a Green Beret, would come home.  Spc. Moreland was stationed at Lang Vei in South Vietnam when his position was overran in 1968.  He was awarded the Silver Star and promoted to SFC while listed as MIA.   Just recently his remains were found in South Vietnam (I guess its all Vietnam now) and positivily identified as his.  40+ years later he is finally comming home.  Its an unfortunate reminder than many of our brave men still have not come home from that country.    In so many ways this could be a sad story but I dont see it that way.  Kathy Strong never gave up and always believed in the name on her wrist- even when it was not popular to do so, even when she had no real idea who he was.  She had pictures of herself throughout the years and she always had the bracelet on.  She said she figured if she didnt give up hope, that maybe one day he would come home.

SPC Moreland will be burried between his mother and father under a full milatary funeral.  His sisters who are still living have invited Kathy to attend the funeral.  There Kathy, after 40 years, will finally take her bracelet off and place it in the casket.  Her measure of devotion for someone she didnt know, who ultimatley gave the last full measure of his devotion, is now complete. 

So today I dedicate this blog to two people, Dan Parker and Jim Connell- two friends of mine who went over there and were fortunate enough to come home.  You are proof that y'all are as much a hero as those who stormed Normandy or Kandhar.   Thank you for your service and I say a prayer for those who are still over there. 

3 comments:

  1. OK, Wow. This is tough. Great one Boom. My special thanks to you for doing this. I want to thank Jim and Dan for what they did. They are the best. I also want to thank Ronnie, Bill and George , I miss you guys, and so many more whose names I do not know. As Dan always says-All gave some and some gave all. Now a confession. I had one of those bracelets. I wore it for a while and now, in March of 2011 I have no idea where it is or who he was. I am so sorry about that. Kathy lived up to her last name and I am afraid I did not. Thanks to SPC. Moreland. Welcome home. And finally to Barry Sadler , himself a warrior , who gave us a song that fits all who wear the uniform. God bless them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog hits home on many fronts. Your father talked about it all night. It was very emotional for him. Vietnam does not go away for more people our age than one would think. Perhaps that's one reason I'm doing the scarves. I didn't do the bracelet. I remember them, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So, now, 45 years later I'm making scarves to send to the guys who are on the front lines to be sure that THEY know we are thinking of them and are proud. Thank you to them all and thank you Boomer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boomer, as I told you last night, you are special and I wish we had more like you during Vietnam, Patriotic and not afraid to speak their minds. On behalf of those who lost their lives over 58,000 Men and Women (8 Nurses)I Salute you for your beliefs and willingness to stand up and be counted. As long as ONE remembers those Brave Men and Women will never be Forgotten. I have told your father this phrase which I have on the back of my vehicle "ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL". You touched my heart with this Blog and helped me determine one thing that I am going to do during Lent and from now on is say a prayer every day for those Service Men and Women who have lost their Lives and for those that go in Harm's Way each and everyday. I am sure I speak for all those who served their country especially during Nam and say It Was My Honor to Serve My Country in any capacity I could. Again Boomer thank you and you would have made One Hell of a Marine. God Bless

    ReplyDelete