Thursday, April 28, 2011

A simple wish....

When I became a Dad, I swore I wasn't going to be "that guy" who always talked about his kids all the time.  You know the type, they think their kid has some special power, is uniquely smart, or better looking than everyone elses.  I wasn't going to be like that.  The more my kids grow and the more kids I have, I find most of my conversations revolving around them.  Probably so much so that my friends would rather me talk about the Civil War or the SEC- which a few years ago they were sick of hearing about!

Anyway, last night at dinner I told my girls I would rather hang out with them over just about anyone else.  No offense to John Collias who drove all the way down here last night to see us.  But in reality, my girls are my best friends.  All 5 of them.  I have something for everyone with them.  Caroline cant wait to go so Captain America with me- she loves superheros.  Reagan loves sports and steaks.  Baylor Grace is my diva.  And while I haven't learned much about Hadley, her Daddy has magical powers to make her poop (which makes her belly feel better) and calm her with his singing voice.  Of course, then there is Brooke.  She does whatever we want and really is a great companion. 

With all the stress and uncertainty in the world (and in our lives), I find myself circling the wagons.  I take joy in little things that probably used to be sort of a pain.  For instance, the time I spend with Reagan and or Caroline in the car on the way to school is one of my favorite times.  I find myself not having much to say to the girls during this time other than "I love you."  I love giving them a kiss goodbye and a hug so tight before they leave for school.  It still tugs at my heart every time I do it.  They are getting so big.  I love the time with the girls at night where we are watching a movie, TV, or reading books.  Those times are some of my favorites.  Even shower time, which Brooke loathes, I have come to really enjoy. 

I find my prayers at night being much shorter, much simpler. The days for asking for so many material things are long gone.  Lord, all I ask is for one more day. One more chance to tell them I love them. One more chance to tell them how special they are to me. One more chance to hold them tight.  I have been blessed to have those girls in my life and I wouldn't change it for the world.  Just as the song says above, even with that one prayer all this just "leaves me wishing wishing still, for one more day..." 

Unplug the telephone, turn the tv off, hold you every second, say a million I love yous. What amazing advice.  How many of you would give everything you own for one more day, one more hour, one more minute, to touch a loved one, touch someone you miss so deeply?  Probably a lot of us.  Every day the girls go off to school, before I say my last goodbye I tell them "I miss you already." That is so true.  I cant wait for them to come home so I can tell them one more time how much I love them.  That is my wish, my prayers.  Just one more day.

4 comments:

  1. Boomer - You beat all. . .Have I said that before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boomer you can talk about the girls until the cows come home before I would pine for talk about the SEC. But, I look forward to all these things and hope I have the clarity to catch all the little moments I can as a Dad. Great post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one of those dad's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only read up to my name and then stopped,, but think that's fair. After hanging with your girls,, no offense they are better friends of mine than you also! Lol.

    And the drive was over six hours, so I should at least get ahead of one of the two younger girls.

    ReplyDelete