Sunday, April 24, 2011

What an amazing week-

I feel like after the week we have had, this (the above picture) is about all you can do. I don't know where to begin and I know I wont be able to express what I am feeling adequately.

I began this blog last August when I knew that Brooke and I were trying to have another baby.  I wanted the blog to center around the pregnancy. I never imagined it would take the ups and downs that it did.  To have this pregnancy part of our family history I dont think has really sunk in yet.  I feel that I will probably keep blogging though because so much of my family is spread out and I don't get to share with them like I would do in a perfect world.  This is my way of doing so. 

This was, without question, one of the best weeks of my life.  It started on Tuesday when Brooke and I went to her doctor for her check up.  We were hoping that they would just check us in and induce the baby but it didn't like look it was going to happen.  They did want to check Brooke in and observe her overnight.  This was somewhat of a let down as we had to call the Nashville crew and let them know they didn't need to come up.  Later in the day they did an ultrasound and a second doctor thought it would be best to induce Brooke the following day.  So, we had to call everyone back and say that it was going to happen on Wed.  The Nashville crew came up later on Tuesday anyway so to be here for the birth on Wed and not take a chance of missing it.  After a back and forth day it ended on a great note with all the girls visiting their mother at the hospital and Mimi and Pops showing up.  We went out to dinner at a fine American establishment Dennys, before we all collapsed that night. 

The next day was THE day.  Brooke's blood pressure was still up and when they broke her water, it was apparent that Hadley had already pooped inside of her mother.  While this was a sign that we were doing the right thing inducing the baby, this did make things a little more complicated for the baby.  Then the epidural got messed up on Brooke, making things even more tricky.  Regardless, the baby was coming pretty fast. Both the OBGYN doctor and my parents showed up just in time.  She came face up but other than that, things went pretty well.  Our beautiful 8lbs 3 oz girl was finally here.  Both her and Mommy were doing well.  We celebrated that night with some Orange Leaf and White Castles. 

Brooke didn't get released on Thursday like she had hoped but for the most part it was a smooth day.  Friday she came home, and we were visited by both Patrick and Sarah, and Brooke (who was there for the birth) and Austin.  Saturday we took Hadley for her first trip to the mall, Brooke and her Mom got to have lunch together, Pops and I saw a movie, and we ended the day with great meal (which is a theme).   The Easter bunny came this morning and shortly there after Pops and Mimi headed back to Nashville.  They spent more time here than normal but it is all a blur.  I feel like I hardly saw them.  The disappointment of them leaving, was put at aside briefly, as MaMaw and PawPaw came for dinner.  They have been doing this a lot lately, and each trip is a great visit.  Now the girls are bathed and we are watching Willy Wonka, which is a tradition in our house.  Things are getting back to normal, as much as they can with a new baby.

It truly was an amazing week and I am so thankful for all those who were a part of it.  I am, however , sad now that this week is over.  We have been looking forward to a version of this week for some time and now that it is over, it is bittersweet.  Nothing is more important to Brooke and I than being with those we love and it seemed like that's all we did this week.  I (already) miss both sets of my parents deeply.  We had tornado warnings almost every day, watched endless hockey and basketball playoffs, even watched some old 8mm videos of Pops when he was a kid.  I think I did a decent job of not being wrapped up with work when I am supposed to be off.  I wouldn't change much from this past week.  I feel very similar to the way I do on Christmas night.  I think the greatest gift this week was just spending some time with my girls and not being too distracted.  I don't know that any of them have super powers or will ever be famous but those 5 girls mean so much to me and being with them this past week has meant the world.

When I started this blog, I wanted it to be about the things that really matter.  This past week was nothing but that.  Thanks to all those who were a part of it, I love you all so very much. Onwards and upwards, to our next journey.  Come along if you wish.

3 comments:

  1. I, for one, really appreciate this blog. I hate being so far away and the difficulties of getting chunks of time to come visit... It is a gift for me to see pictures and hear the stories of your lives because I really love you all. So, thanks. Give all 5 girls a hug for me and I could not be happier that you are all blessed with having another gorgeous little baby girl.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great week. Hard but great. Now getting settled in will take some time--but you guys will do it. Love you all--even BG --who hates her PawPaw. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember --only a few certain things really matter. This is one of those things.

    ReplyDelete