Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Swing for the fences Reagan-

I hate soccer; I hate it with every ounce of my body.  I have come to really enjoy coaching Reagan's soccer team.  As much as I hate the game, I like being out there with her and her friends.  I think they like me too and that is evident by the way they climb all over me.  I like being able to push Reagan harder than the other girls, I like being able to see Reagan improve, and I like being able to see Reagan compete.  This weekend though I was reminded of a time when I was a kid and my Dad was my coach in the same way I am now Reagan's.

I peaked as a baseball player when I was around 8 or 9 during adult pitch.  I was generally a good athlete but I always did better when my Dad pitched to me- as opposed to the other coach.  In adult pitch, one of your two coaches throws you the ball to hit unlike normal baseball where the pitcher tries to get you out.  I remember having a particularly good season one year and it had come my turn to bat during a game.  Dad is pitching and on the mound, he says to me..."Boomer if you hit a home run, I will take you to Children's Palace and buy you anything you want."  I hit the ball all the way to the fence and while it did not leave the park, I ran as fast as I could and achieved an inside the park home run.  Most would be excited about helping their team win, others excited about accomplishing a very athletic task, I was just excited because I could go to the largest toy store in Louisville and get anything I wanted.  An inning or so later, I was coming up to bat again.  This time I looked at Dad and say "if I hit another home run, can I get any two things I want?"  Dad said sure...that ball still hasn’t landed.  It became very clear that I was a reward motivated person.

This past Sunday Reagan had a soccer game.  It was a cold and rainy day- which sums up most of the season.  Last fall was a much better season for Reagan but she has been coming along and doing some real nice things lately on the field.  As much as I hate the game, I loved being out there with her and  just messing around.  You can't coach a 5 year old much; you just try and help them not get hurt.  After a rainy game on Saturday, no one wanted to go to one on Sunday under worse conditions.  I had to wake Reagan up form her nap at the very last minute to get the game. She was not wanting to waking up and not having anything to do with playing soccer.  She begged me not to go.  So picture this...a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon, I am begging my daughter to go play soccer, she is begging me not to go.  Talk about a twisting of roles.  After much drama, protesting, and consternation I got her in the car and we were off.  On our way there I remembered one of my Dad's coaching techniques when I was about that  same age.  I said Reagan, all I ask is that you perk up and play hard.  You do that and I will take you to Orange Leaf.  Immediately I saw a smile across her face.  She went out there and never once complained about the cold rain like every other girl did.  She was ready to play.  She started very well and had a breakaway to an open goal when one of her teammates ran her over, took the ball, which her teammate then missed the shot....  I was proud of my restraint.  After that, she actually did a slide tackle to take the ball away from the other team...very impressive.  Before long she banked her first goal in off the post, it was a thing a beauty.  Then, she later got the ball all the way down by her own goal, dribbled the length of the field using both feet to control the ball, and took a real nice shot right into the goal.  Two goals, great defense, and a big win.  I was a proud Daddy, for a lot of reasons.  You know the Daddy that hates the game of soccer.

After a weekend of a dance recital and soccer games, I realized that when you become a Dad you will end up doing a lot of things you didn’t want to do, don't like to do, or every dreamed of doing.  That’s okay because to see the looks on their face when they are on stage, or when the score the big goal, it makes it all worth it.  Swing for the fences Reagan, sometimes you may not hit the ball out but you might just hit it far enough to do what needs to be done. Regardless, I will be waiting cheering you on, just like my Daddy was for me.

2 comments:

  1. You need to put all this in book form some day - maybe for them when they graduate from college. And, yes, I remember it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good motivation--She is so cool and so much like you in so many ways. She just lights me up with her attitude.

    ReplyDelete