Friday, May 27, 2011

When the shoe is on the other foot....



I learned something new today, when the shoe is on the other foot....it sucks.  So much of my life and job (as blogged about before) is getting into a rental car or boarding a plane.  Its fine, Ive come to terms with it and it doesn't really bother me that much anymore.  In fact, Ive gotten pretty good at it.  It almost is numb now- leaving my girls behind.  I have trained myself not to think about it too much so that I don't get depressed when I am in a cold hotel room by myself.  There are of course perks to traveling.  I get to see some great places and meet some great people.  I also build up a lot of miles.  So much so that the hotel on the way down and the way home on my vacation in a few weeks will be free of charge.  Having said all that, the shoe was on the other foot this morning.  This morning we all woke up very early to get Brooke and Hadley to the airport.  The only logical way to get Brooke to Massachusetts for her Grandfather's funeral was flying her and Hadley up there.  That requires me to see her, with her luggage, walk through those sliding doors to the oblivion of an airport. This is something she has done with me in reverse a thousand times.  It is very hard for me to not be up there in Central Mass. this weekend for a lot of reasons I wont go in to.  Being there would also be hard for a lot of reasons that we can all imagine.  Funerals are never easy and the better the man/woman was, the harder it is to say goodbye.  All that considered, I think that one of the hardest things this weekend was seeing Brooke walk away with Hadley this morning.  The "big" girls and I will do the best we can this weekend and have full run of the house. I suspect if Mimi and Pops stop and think about it...well I don't think they want to think about it.  :)  We will do our best to keep things here in good order.  We will still shower, eat, sleep, brush our teeth, etc.  Not having Mom around is tough though....you never realize how much someone means to you until they are gone for a few days.   I don't at all claim to be as important to this family as Brooke is but I will think about that next time it is my leaving on a plane.  The bottom line is I wish none of this was necessary.  I wish that Grandpa was in good health, Mimi and Pops are here in Nashville, and we are all having a Memorial Weekend together.  Life is what happens when you make plans.  It would appear that we have been given some lemons, but is there a better time for lemonade than the start of summer?

2 comments:

  1. Know how tough it is. hang in there- We care little for ourselves, much for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, Reagan says you are going to have "F-U-N". Sounds like the zoo is a good start.

    ReplyDelete