Tuesday, December 20, 2011

An email for my Mom

As noted before, my mother knitted 400 scarves for service men and women in Afghanistan (www.operationgratitude.com ) this past year.  She did 100 in honor of each grand baby, more than 1 a day.  To top it all off, she included a hand written note with each scarf, thanking them for their service.   Today she received an email from one of the brave men who got one of my Mom's gifts.


Dear Nina,
I recieved the scarf you made today.  I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for the scarf and your kind words.  It means a lot to the service men and women overseas to know that they are thought of, especially during the holiday season.  So once again I thank you and your family for keeping us in mind.  I wish you and your family the best through the holidays!
Semper Fidelis,
SSgt Bridges
3rd Bn 7th Marines




Mom, we are all so proud of you! 

4 comments:

  1. Why, then, do I feel like Captain Jack Sparrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I'm just happy that I can say thank you. I have always felt a great deal of guilt about the way the Viet Nam veterans were treated, and I'm so happy to be able to say thank you now to all these soldiers who volunteered. After doing all this it's very exciting to hear back from two of them so far. And for my next trick. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the scarves, lose the hat. You are too old to be a pirate. A pirate's wife ..however. So proud of you and love you so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina, it is gestures such as yours that raise the day to day spirits of those deployed warriors. We expect our families to be proud, but thoughts and actions by complete strangers stirs the Soldier's heart in a completely different manner. Thanks for all you do to support those who are away from home. Army Strong. dab

    ReplyDelete