Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A letter to Reagan-

This past weekend on ESPN Gameday seen here ,I was moved by a piece about an Oklahoma football player.  The players Dad had written him letters before every game since he was in the 7th grade.  The player died this past year and each game another defensive player has worn Austin Box's jersey.  One thing stuck out to me during the piece more than others.  Austin's father talked about how he feels that the letters showed a love that a father had for his son, and that the fact that his son had kept everyone of the letters shows how much respect the son has for his father.  My father always wrote me letters growing up.  It wasn't always game day, sometimes it was just a day that ended in y. The letters would come at all different times for all different reasons.  I don't have all of them, but just like Austin, I kept most of them.  Ive always wanted to be able to do the same for my girls as they grow, so in the event I am not here, they will have on paper how much their father loved them.  The good news is, Reagan can now read at an amazing level.  So my hope is that Brooke sits down with Reagan and allows her to read the letter below, 2011 style.

Dear Reagan,

I wanted to write you a note to let you know how much joy you have brought to your Mom and I.  Your PawPaw used to write me letters like this all the time.  First days of school, football games, big days, small days, or just because.  Now you are getting to the point where you can read, so I will do the same for you.  Reagan, I love you (and your sisters) more than life itself.  I would not trade you for anything in the world and I could not have asked for anything more in a child. I can remember the first time I ever held you in my arms.  I cried to the point that I couldn't even see you.  I was so overcome with emotion that both your grandfathers thought something was wrong.  From day one, you have been an angel. It hurts to watch how fast you have grown but there is an amazing beauty in that as well.  I am so thankful for what a big help you are when Daddy is away.  You are an excellent big sister, a beautiful little girl, a pure ray of sunshine.  You are also my best friend and I would rather hang out with you, than just about anyone else.  Nothing brings me more joy than giving you a big hug.  I never knew the power of love until I knew you.

All my love,
Daddy



1 comment: