Monday, February 14, 2011

The Day of Love

Last night I surprised my wife with two photos for Valentines Day.  It was a surprise because 1) it wasn't Valentines Day just yet 2) because we never celebrate Valentines Day, and 3) because I made such a big deal about "forgetting her card."  Both of the photos I purchased her while in Charleston a few weeks back. One is of the live oak tree above ( I love live oaks, their symbolism, and I hope to someday live where they can as well), called the Angel Oak.  A second was of a plantation her and I found while driving some back roads in April when we both were down there.  Score some big brownie points for Boomer.

Anyway, I fashion myself as the occasional wordsmith and this past weekend I was trying to figure out what was the best way to tell someone you love them?  You could try the basic...I love you.  Tried and true but perhaps a bit overused.  We say it when we are younger not knowing what it really means, and after a while it sort of loses its luster.  You can try and be poetic....Reagan, I love you more than all the stars in the sky and the fishes in the sea.  That works pretty well with a 5 year old but probably wouldn't work on my wife. So this past weekend, while driving some back roads of Florida, I tried hard to come up with what I thought was the best way to tell someone like your wife that you love them.  I thought of song lyrics, scripture, etc. and finally it hit me thinking about the 10 years I have spent with Brooke.

It hasn't always been easy, there have been struggles.  Health, money, stress, jobs, etc.  There have been some amazing times too, mostly revolving around family, some professionally, and the list goes on.  I think when you look at all the good you have shared with someone you love, considering all the bad that has happened, and then add all that up.  Take that outcome and if you can look your partner in the eye and say, "I would do it all over again" that is one of the best ways to tell them you love them.

So tonight I hope you share some time with someone you love.  I hope even more you can look them in the eye and tell them, that no matter what has happened in the past- with them, you would do it all over again.

Happy Valentines Day!

3 comments:

  1. Ditto. I would do it all over again, too. And, Happy Valentine's Day to all my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say to Nina,and it is true--about 2 or 3 times a day when she walks into the room I actually feel my heart go flip-flop in my chest. Been married almost 43 years and together 5 more before that. About a half century. Still, it is a real physical thing, flip=flop. Also if there is a God, he, she, or it will let me die one day before my bride because I could not stand to live one minute without her. I can see the love you two have for each other. It is a true and real and vibrant love. (Not to mention "clean") You have a great love and a great family. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back on January 20th you wrote about the different kinds of Love. You explained it very eloquently and I agree you are a wordsmith. To a few Family and Love are what it is all about at the end of a day knowing no matter how bad or screwed up your day has been when you hear your spouse's voice, hold and cuddle your children and grandchildren it just doesn't get any better than that. I agree with you Mom and Dad that I would do it all over again and Kathy and I celebrated 43 years of marriage on November 25th and were engaged for four years before that. Because of her I had something to come home from Vietnam for.
    God Bless you, all of your family, and keep Blogging.

    ReplyDelete