Saturday, February 12, 2011

Wow- how time flies

Dear Reagan:

I am sitting here in this hotel room in Jacksonville Florida.  It was a beautiful sunny day down here and there is a great palm tree outside of my window.  Despite the fact that I cant imagine why anyone lives anywhere else, I cant wait to get home tomorrow.  I have to be at the airport by 5:30 in the morning but I know I wont sleep tonight.  I never do before early flights but tonight I will be especially jacked up.  Reason is Reagan, tomorrow is your 5th birthday and I cannot wait to see you.  I cant begin to imagine where these past 5 years have gone?  I seemingly remember every little detail from the days around your birth.  Going out the night before for dinner (Bahama Breeze), watching the Winter Olympics all night long because I couldn't sleep, the long anticipation the day you were to come.  Your hiccups that were amplified by the monitors- the whole period was like Christmas to me.  I didn't know how I would react once you were here, this was my first rodeo.  The minute I saw you, I began to cry.  You were the most beautiful person I had ever seen and I knew the greatest thing to ever happen to me.  I cried, and to be honest I haven't stopped since.  I have done a lot of wrong in my life and made a lot of mistakes.  Despite that I must have done something right because God has given me you girls.  Y'all in turn give me hope, inspiration, love, comfort, and reason for being.  With you specifically, I see all that is right with the world and I see a great friend. 

In some ways, you are Andy from Toy Story and I am Woody.  I know that someday you will outgrow me as Andy does Woody and that painful thought is never too far from every single one of my heartbeats. Always.  It still pains me to drop you off at school, knowing you are growing more and more independent.  When I see that you told your whole class that your Daddy is your favorite person on Earth, that means more to me than you could possibly imagine.  I will keep those moments with me forever, knowing it may not always be that way.  I know how you feel though because I always felt that way about my father.

Your Mother and I work very hard to give you everything you need and most of what you want.  We will always do so as long as it is possible and it is our privilege.  To be honest, I think the thing I am most of proud of is what a good girl you are.  You take such amazing care of your younger sisters, I know they are always in good hands when you are around.  That to me is your way of repaying your Mom and I for our hard work, at the very least it lets us know that perhaps we are raising our kids properly. 

I cant believe its been 5 years Reagan, I just cant believe it. Where has the time gone?  You've gotten to be such a big girl.  I remember the first few nights listening to you cry, watching you sleep, and playing with your toys for the first time.  I think about when you learned to crawl, walk, hug, your struggles talking, and your lack of hair for so long.  I wish I could bottle up my little girl and keep that forever.  I love the young girl you have become and look forward to see the woman that you are meant to be but I will always cherish my baby Reagan.  Who knows what the future holds for us. I pray it holds lots of date nights between you and I, snuggle time watching TV, UK games, baseball games, and "sit beside me daddy."  No matter what, you are the purest joy in my life and I thank God everyday for giving you to me.  I love you Reagan and Happy Birthday.  May God give you health, happiness, and all the love you could ever want.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done. I thought I would feel old when my first grandchild arrived. I did not. I felt totally alive and fulfilled. Plus a got a tear soaked Aston. All in all not a bad day. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, crying again... what are you trying to do- kill me?! ha ha Very nicely put Boomer, so glad you got to be home for her birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest to the crying. I remember you scaring the entire waiting room when you came in sobbing. Your father rushed to you, but I stayed back smiling, and then you said, "She's so beautiful. She looks just like me." It's been all good ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is caring and sweet and pretty, loves her sisters and her PawPaw but her Daddy is her favorite. That is as it should be. Just like it was with my daughter...Oh wait..no it wasn't ..darn I never get that right. Never mind--Reagan is something, not to mention a big girl now. Just think Dad, soon there will be boys, cars, dating etc.. Late nights, etc. But it is all fun.

    ReplyDelete