Thursday, February 24, 2011

Its not you....it is me.

Dear (John) UK,

I love you (The University of Kentucky) more than you could ever imagine.  I am not one of the kids that grew up dreaming about playing for you (the Kayats).  Nor do I wonder when Richie is going to play.  In fact, I grew up during a time when little brother (UofL) won two national titles.  It wasn't until 1996 did I really start to look at  you (UK).  That year your basketball team was one of if not the best ever.  You had 7 guys on that roster play in the NBA.  My favorite team ever was your 1997 team that lost in the NC game in overtime. I was on Spring Break my Sr. year and remember watching that game, it was the first time I felt upset about a UK loss.  My freshman year at your place (UK) we won another National Title and I have been hooked since.  I will also say that I am a fair fan as well. I call it like I see it and am very honest about my view of the team. This does not compare to my feelings for the University.  I loved going to school there and fully believe there is nothing in this state that compares to the atmosphere at your place (UK) on so many levels.  It was a great place to go to school.  It is where I met my wife, and where I joined my great Fraternity.  I love you (UK).

Having said that I am going to have to take a break from my U.  I am still a fan and will always cheer for you and hope you win every game.  However, I cannot watch you anymore- it is bad for my health.  After the mess that was a your football season, to what is this train wreck of a basketball season- I simply cant take it anymore.  There have been highlights of course.  Beating UofL (again) and USC in football, along with your 5th straight bowl was good.  In basketball, we beat UofL(again) among other top 25 teams but we cant win on the road.  We win by 20 at home and lose by 1 on the road in almost every game.  I cant figure it out, it drives me crazy.  So with that, I think we need to take a break.  Its not you UK, its me.  I have enough stress in my life, I don't need what our relationship has brought me this year.  We swear we are never going to do this again, we look great at home, then you go on the road.  It breaks my heart all over again.  Dont doubt my love UK- I just need a time out.  For my sanity.

With all my love,
Boomer

3 comments:

  1. A true, clear thinking and reasonable UK fan. Good move Boomer. Plus the girls have learned enough new words for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you didn't have to sit in the stands and watch Trinity play Male for the state championship THAT year - one of the best high school football games ever played according to ESPN or Sports Illustrated, I forget which. Now that's stress. I swore I was taking a break then, too, but that was because the season was over and sure enough in September we were back. You will be, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take some Tiger blood and be a WINNER!

    ReplyDelete