Sunday, June 26, 2011

HOIST THE BLACK FLAG!

I love Caroline, she is the sweetest girl around.  She showers you with love and kindness because that is her nature.  She is also afraid of a lot of things (except bugs oddly enough).  You mention the word snap and pops and she literally freaks out.  Seriously, it reminds me of something from Exorcist. 


We are working on her firework fear- along with her fears to just about everything- and I have found something that helps.

While at Disney, I tried the Pirates of the Caribbean ride by myself. It turns out to be a ride I thought all the girls would like.  Well I knew that Baylor and Reagan would like it but there were a few parts I knew would scare Caroline.  She has always been interested in Pirates, ever since she got her own eye patch last December. While there were a few scary parts for Caroline, for the most part she really liked the ride and took it all in stride.  As a memento of the ride, while purchasing a water for us to drink, I saw this small Jolly Roger flag and I was hit by some lighting.  See, I sorta know how Caroline thinks because she is very similar to me.  I knew that when she is afraid of something, she needs something other than her thumb to concentrate on to get through the bad parts....why not a Jolly Roger?  The flag was used during the Pirate days to strike fear in others.....so I figured it would be a great symbol for Caroline to use when she needed to be brave.  It gives her something else to concentrate on other than what it is going on around her.

One night she was having bad dreams and was crying for Brooke and I.  When we got to her, she was crying and asking for her flag to keep her brave.  Last night we had a fireworks freek out and she kept saying ...."I need my flag! I need my flag!"  It has become in some ways more than I intended and in others, exactly what I intended. 

She had her birthday yesterday and by all accounts it was a great success.  Most the family was here, the weather was great, and the kids played hard.  Ive learned in 4 years that Caroline is a sweet girl, loving girl, emotional girl, scaredy cat, and a lot like me.  Good and bad.  Its been challenging and rewarding in recent times to see her face her fears, find new ones, overcome some.  But the main thing I learned is that my life, our life, is so much better because of Caroline.

HOIST THE BLACK FLAG Caroline, time to make them walk the plank!


2 comments:

  1. So I take it the fireworks display did not go well. I don't blame her. I don't like them up close either, and as a child it took me a long time to get over the noise factor, too. I think that perhaps she is more like me than you, and that is why she and I get along so well. I love the flag. I think she needs a hat, too, or as you said, a blanket. Any child who can snatch up worms and play with them, though, has plenty of courage. It just has to be brought out. She's a very special little girl, is growing up fast, and she'll handle those scary things soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is sensitive-much more so than the Linebacker and the stink-eyed one. Her love of animals and the way she plays shows a real intelligence and love of science. She will be a great archaeologist or anthropologist some day. I love her attitude and caring, not to mention the occasional drama.

    ReplyDelete