Friday, July 15, 2011

I dont get it...

I admit, I don't get it.  The amount of people who are genuinely sad about the last movie of HP being released, I don't get it.  There are so many adults, graduates from college (some with multiple degrees), married, kids, whatever- who are sad about the ending of this series.  I never liked it- I saw 15 minutes of the first movie and hated it and just didn't understand why so many people- nerds- were into these books.  People I love and respected too, Mom, Patrick, Brooke Ward (who is an awkward fanatic about the series), and even my Brooke at one time.  One of the books was released during our Honeymoon and Brooke spent much of her time reading that book..... Anyway, people I really respect are into it and I just cant fathom why?  I see so many people talking about how they grew up on these books and have invested 12 years of their life (or whatever it is) and now they don't know what to hold on to.  I generally respond with maybe something you know...for adults?  Regardless, I love to tease all the dorks who are seriously into this dude. I once met a very attractive girl who had Harry's lightening bolt tattooed on her ankle...not hot.  What degree is Harry getting at Hogwarts anyway, his PhD?  I mean seriously, this thing has taken forever and Harry must be like 35.   I saw on the news and read in the paper about so many grown ups who let their inner dorkiness out and dressed up for this movie last night and were crying when it was over...seriously crying.  What is wrong with you people? 

But then I thought about how many kids/teenagers/young adults spent their summers reading these books.  Many of these books were 700+ pages.  To me, that is the power of Harry Potter.  Even if I don't appreciate the subject matter, I can get behind the fact that so many people were reading books that would have otherwise been sitting around doing nothing productive, hating their life, and probably being angry at their father for something.  While I prefer books that will educate you about our past, the act of reading anything does make you smarter so for that I can respect the HP books.  I am not sure I have had any "fantasy world" aspect of my life that I cared as deeply about in the same way as these Potter nerds care about Harold.  They have now had 7 books and 8 movies to invest in, something that may never be matched again.  So while I don't get it and like to poke fun, I totally respect the fact that many of these fans spent a lot of their time reading these very long books.  Good for them. 

I for one am glad it is over and not really sorry to see "part of their childhoods ending." I guess I am strange too.  While kids were reading Harry Potter, as a kid I was reading Killer Angels and wishing I had been born in 1835 (as opposed to being a student at Hogwarts).  So to each their own.  Don't be sad that it is over, be thankful that you had something you view as so powerful to be such a part of your life.  You were reading books about wizardry and trying to figure out who you were in this world, while many of us were out getting laid stood on the outside looking at you thinking.....WTF?

Anyway, I've spent too long on this topic and must get back to watching The Empire Strikes Back for the 178th time. 

5 comments:

  1. Of course, I have to comment. I understand that you and your father don't get it. I understand that many people don't get it, and that's okay. I resisted for several years, and then Patrick bought me the first boxed set of 4 books, which I ignored for a few months until I got the flu and had nothing to do for a week. I started reading and read all 4 straight through. I have been attached to the books, not quite so much the movies. I am a visual person. Any movie with a lot of scenery is my kind of movie. The books trigger imagination that so many kids didn't know they had. It's not just fantasy, it's using your brain in a way they don't teach any more -- Just like cursive writing, "educators" feel cursive is a waste of time, but that' another arguement. Imagination and visualization is lost when you can Google anything, but this makes you imagine things that you couldn't find on Google. It's also something to be connected with. I agree that crying over the last movie is over the top and a bit juvenile. I just recently saw 7.1, so I'm in no hurry to see 7.2. But, I will tell you that you cannot complain too much. Remember your reaction to a little series called "Star Wars". We were talking about it this morning and I realized that Harry Potter is nothing but Star Wars done over. Good vs. evil - Harry is Luke, Hermione is Princess Leah, Ron is Han, Voldemort is Darth Vader, Dumbledore is Obi Wan, the good guys are nearly defeated but come together to fight the bad guys and become triumphant. Star Wars was always said to be a really new western movie. Harry Potter is a really new Star Wars. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. Yes. I did not see the last line of your blog. I'll bet your daughters will like Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No- they will be Star Wars all the time. Baylor Grace can even tell you her favorite character..."Yooooda"

    Dont ever compare anyon from HP to Han Solo- are you kidding? he is one of the coolest movie characters of all time.
    1) He fired first
    2) As he was being lowered into the pit to be frozen in carbonite, Leia looks at him not knowning if she would ever see him again and says "I love you." What does Han say??? "I know." Now that is smooth and a Total Frat Move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is silly and makes no sense for actual adults to act that way over Harry Potter or Star Wars. Good God people --get a life --and grow up. If you do not like that feel free to call me and complain, any time. Well anytime except between 7:00 and 9:00 tonight because i have sceduled my nightly showing of Rudy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the books, and like the movies. I was more sad when the book series ended, than I am for the movies.

    ReplyDelete