Monday, July 25, 2011

The REAL Captain America

This past weekend I went and saw Captain America.  I like going to the movies and like going by myself.  Believe it or not,  sometimes its more peaceful for me to watch a movie at the theatre than at my own house.  I have really enjoyed the Marvel Comic book movies as of late. If you read my blog there are a few things outside of my family that I love.  1) Anything about Amurca and 2) Anything with Amurca kicking ass.  So it should be no surprise that I was very excited for the Captain America movie.  I think he is probably my favorite "Super" hero.  It is a good thing he didn't play baseball, he wouldn't be elected to the Hall of Fame-stupid baseball writers. (That is a steroid joke...which is basically all Captain America was).

Anyway, after the movie I was reminded of a meeting I had with someone who is probably a real life Captain America.  One day we were having an issue with our cable so I called Insight and thankfully they were going to send someone right over.  A few hours later, a Chris Evans like character shows up at my door.  He looked "All American."  As he was working through the house, I noticed on his forearm he had the shield of Captain America tattooed. I thought he was a little old for comic books (sorry Patrick) and the movie was about a year away so I asked him about it.  I have always enjoyed the good patriotic symbol but was curious about this guy.  I'm sure he wasn't as educated as I was  (ha ha) so there probably wasn't a historical reference.  Probably just some nerd.  As it turns out, he was a Marine (he did look the part) who had just gotten back from Iraq. He proceeded to tell me about his Unit and a little about his time over there.  He was working at Insight as a part time job before he goes to Afghanistan.  He said he got the tattoo before he deployed the first time because as a Marine he felt he was protecting America and this symbol was to him, the perfect symbol.

I generally am humbled anytime I am in the presence of anyone who has served.  This was one of those times to the ENTH degree.  He was a recently married guy (only reason he was in Lexington was because wife was from here), a Marine, who already served in Iraq, and who was shortly going to Afghanistan.  I was proud of America that day, watching this movie reminded me of him and I was proud again.  I don't remember his name but often wonder how it all worked out for him.  I can only hope that there is a Divine shield around him when he is off at battle so that he and all his brothers (and sisters) in arms can come home and sell US Bonds, just like Steve Rogers.  

May God bless "Steve Rogers" and may God bless America.

3 comments:

  1. Home fricking run! Great job my man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day you need to self-publish all these into a book for us for Christmas. BTW tears again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, great movie, and an even better cable guy!

    ReplyDelete