Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Get your affairs in order....

"Get your affairs in order" is probably one of the worst things a doctor can ever tell you.  It is their way of telling you that you are on borrowed time.  I used to dread and hate that phrase but after what has happened today, I have come to appreciate it more.

I got all three girls up, dressed, fed, and out the door by 7:20 (all by myself).  A task that I am proud of considering I had been up since 2:30 am thanks to Hadley Blaine.  When I got to school to drop the girls off, I noticed Baylor Grace's teacher was crying.  This teacher has taught 3 of my girls, in 4 years straight (Reagan had them two years in a row)- so naturally you become close to them.  I asked what was wrong and I was told that one of Reagan's classmates father had died (was dying).  He went into the hospital yesterday because of a headache, and was now brain dead.  Worst part is, Reagan's classmate didn't even know the entirety of the situation.  She asked for her class to pray for her Daddy because he had a headache and was in the hospital.  She didn't know he we would not be coming home.

I don't really claim to be this guys friend, I had to struggle to place his face.  I saw his wife almost every day when she walked their two girls to school and he and I would chat at the girls parties.  Again, Ive seen him now for three years in a row.  What hit me the hardest was that his daughters were Reagan's age and Baylor Grace's age.  Now the Mom will have to raise their two girls alone and they will never really know their father.  How do I explain that to Reagan?  He went to the hospital for a headache and now he is never coming home! I am positive that they would give it all up if he simply had the chance to get his affairs in order.  He wasn't even granted that "luxury." How do I resist the anxiety that comes every time I leave for work that I am never 100% sure I will see my girls again. No one loves the girls the way I do, the way a father should love his daughter(s).  Who is going to watch over them, teach them how to survive, if their Daddy isn't around? His death, or impending death, has really hit me hard and I am struggling to comprehend it.

Life is so precious, hug the ones you love.  Don't go to bed mad.  Forgive. Forget.  We are only here for a little while and we never really know how long that little while is.

In the words of the GREAT Jack Sparrow "Better to not know which moment may be your last. Every morsel of your entire being alive to the infinite mystery of it all."




3 comments:

  1. No explanation. No reason. Sometimes, life does really suck--and then you die. Most important things are -(1) do not sweat the small stuff; (2) never go to bed mad; (3) always , every day, tell everyone you love that YOU DO LOVE THEM and finally savor every moment--from the first one you can remember to the NOW. One more --always thank, what ever your concept of a Supreme Being is, for every day you have. Unlike tires or cars, humans come with no warranty, but also, humans are never alone--reach out as many times as necessary. They are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete