Thursday, November 17, 2011

The first hard choice....


As I sit here and watch out stuff getting loaded into the moving truck, I am filled with all different emotions.  This house has so many memories, so many firsts, and so much love.  Our time here in Lexington has been amazing but now it is time to move on to the house in the above picture. It honestly feels like the last episode of MTV's The Real World, in the sense that the show always showed the people packing up and moving on, just like us. Baylor Grace walked up today and saw the movers putting some of Hadley's toys into the moving truck and she went ballistic.  I thought I was going to have to separate my daughter from the workers.  No Baylor Grace, they are not taking Hadley's toys.

These past few weeks could not have been crazier and the next few will be the same.  To top it all off, it appears that Hadley has a double ear infection, to go along with the surgery she is having next Monday.  Reagan is going under as well.  Our life is totally upside down.  There is light at the end of the tunnel and we all have hope.  But as the craziness engulfs us, I have done a lot of reflecting today, with a few thoughts about our future.

I understand its going to take more to get our family together.  Its going to take a greater effort for my parents and Brooke's parents to see us.  The drive is going to be longer, maybe even a flight.  It won't be as simple as jumping in the car and heading down the road.  You have to do it though, for all of us.  The responsibility of the job ahead of me is enormous.  I am not sure where to even begin.  I will tackle this head on and do the best I can to push forward SAE. However, I will need your help in order to do so.  

The first hard choice is ahead of us.  Do we send Reagan to public schools or the local Catholic school.  In Lexington and Louisville, there was no choice.  We had to send them to Catholic schools.  In the place where we are living, the local public school is a great school, maybe even better in terms of scores. Its newer, clean, etc.  But, there isn't a crucifix in every classroom.  Something that has always been so important to me. Reagan isn't the problem either, its Reagan + Caroline+ Baylor Grace+ Hadley, that's a lot of money.  When the alternative isn't good, its a no brainer.  But when the alternative is great- it makes it a really hard choice.  The money that would be freed up by sending them to a public school, would allow us to do more as a family and with these schools you wouldn't be sacrificing their education in the process.  With everything else going on, I am struggling with this choice the most.  It goes back to my grandmother (God rest her sainted Irish soul), to my Dad, to me, and thus far- to my girls.  It was always Catholic schools.  We will still have a crucifix in every room in our house. And the 100 year old Catholic church is  just a few blocks away from our house.  Trust, me it looks like a Catholic church, not some ski lodge like so many of the new ones.  I am thankful we have options but this is a tough call.  

Tomorrow is a new day full of unknowns, excitements, and unfortunately hurdles.  I will make it through it all, with the love and support of my 5 girls, family, friends, and brothers.  Today is a day for reflection of my time here in Lexington.  A chapter of my life that saw my family grow from one baby to 4, from a high school football coach to an Executive Director.  I will miss the Bluegrass State, and My Old Kentucky Home will have the same effect on me, as Ol Danny Boy does on the Irish when they leave Ireland.  

Thanks to all who made being here such a great experience for my family, we will always love our Ol Kentucky home.... no matter how "far way" it is.


1 comment:

  1. I think it's hard for any of us to respond to this. So happy and so sad.

    ReplyDelete