Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sometimes it is more than a table.


I couldn’t get the picture turned around, my apologies but what you are looking at is a well worn chair.  I have sort of a theme sometimes with my blog.  It started with my Dad's clothes in Gatlinburg, then a pillow case, now the chair.  Sometimes a chair is more than just a chair.

With a move that is coming way to fast, our lives are pretty crazy right now.  We are getting rid of a lot of stuff, selling a lot of stuff, and throwing a lot of stuff away.  One of the items we decided to give away was this kitchen table above.  This table is at least 20 years old.  My parents got this table sometime around the time when we moved to the house my Mom and Dad currently live in.  If you look closely at the chair you will see teeth marks where Dixie chewed the chair as a puppy.  As a matter of fact, almost every dog since then has.  My parents then gave me the table in 2001 when I moved into my apartment here in Lexington, and Brooke and I have used this table ever since.  At first it was our main table, then it moved to the dining room table.  In our house here in Lexington, we used it about twice a year to eat on, but every day I used it as my office.  It was wobbly, I had to constantly tighten the bolts on the legs out of fear it would collapse.  It was quite literally on its last leg.  We made the hard call to get rid of it, it really wouldn’t survive a 4th move.

Brooke and I love putting things for free on Craig's List.  It is amazing to us how quickly someone will show up and take it off your front yard.  We literally laugh about it.  Today, 27 minutes after we posted it, a lady arrived to take the table.  I figured it would be best for me to go out there and help her load it up since she was here by herself. She kept talking about how beautiful the table was.  To us it was a lot of things, old, worn out, beat up, chewed up, a relic, but it wasn’t beautiful.  She kept talking about how much she appreciated it.  She had been living out of her car and just finally got a place for her and her twin girls.  She didn’t say much else- just that it was a quick move.  I got the sense that there was a dark reason for her move, but I didn’t press because its none of my business.  So I loaded up the car with the table and the chairs and sent her own her way.  I thought about it and realized that this table which had seen so much in our lives, still had one life left.  It was going to another home and helping a lady and her family who couldn't afford much else.

Sometimes a table is more than just a table, it was to us, and now it will be to this lady.  When I thought about blogging about this table, it was simply to talk about the mileage we got out of it.  After the lady picked it up and told me her story....I realized this blog was about much more than that.  So whoever you are lady, enjoy the table.  It served us so well and I hope it does the same to you.  In life you must move on, don’t look back, but every once and a while you got to sit back and relax.  Now she has something to help her and her kids do just that
.

2 comments:

  1. It is more than a table and chairs. It is a memory and a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS much more than a table, and I knew it would have to go. You brought back all those memories to us this morning. It was big - to hold a lot of people - all your and Patrick's friends and all our family. It was a teething ring for Dixie, probably Aggie, certainly Flaget, Rory and Kylie, and Echo. Thank you. Beautiful story. Beautiful gesture on your all's part. I hope she enjoys it, too.

    ReplyDelete