Sunday, November 27, 2011

Times they are a changing.....

I had one of the most amazing few days, I had to blog about it.  I wasn't sure I would get home on Wednesday, but after a two hour delay at the bridge, I finally pulled into the house for a long needed break with the family.  I should have known that it was going to be a good weekend when I get home to watch UK win in basketball.

Thursday really was  a great Thanksgiving.  We took the girls to play in the park and after naps, we were ready to eat.  Patrick came over and the girls were so excited to see him.  It was really neat to have my girls making dumplings with me and my father.  Three generations of Ayers' doing what is a tradition in our house, making dumplings.  Then Baylor Grace worked her magic when she asked PawPaw to sit next to her.  It was too warm to have a fire in the fire place but it was good to sit around in the family room with the family, watching football.

Friday was an amazing day for November.  We decided to go to the Zoo and had almost the entire place to ourselves.  By the time we left it was getting crowded, it is true that the early bird does get the warm.  Friday night my Dad and I went to the Trinity game.  Trinity is something we both share a passion for and we don't get to go to too many games together anymore, so it was nice to get there and watch our Rocks play.  Trinity is on an amazing run and is playing it its 11th State Championship game in 12 years.  If Trinity wins on Friday, they will win Trinity's first National Championship.  Absolutely amazing.

Saturday, Brooke and I went out to breakfast together for a mini date.  Later we went to the movies and saw the Muppet movie....or as Baylor calls them, the Puppet movie.  It was great for me to go there with Patrick and Mom as well, because many years ago they got me into the Muppets.  To watch it with my girls made me feel like I was passing on part of my childhood.  The theme of the movie really played into that as well.

Saturday was a great day because I got to watch a lot of football with Dad too.  INCLUDING UK's victory over UT.  This was the first time in 27 years that UK has done this.  I realized I was Reagan's age the last time UK beat UT in football.  I have been to so many games where my "sports" heart was broken by UK in finding a way to lose to Tennessee.  I honestly was not sure if I would live to see us ever beat them in football.  The longest active losing streak in NCAA football is no more.  Now there is a new longest active losing streak....unfortunately UK owns that one as well- you're next Florida. After the Tennessee game, we went on an amazing walk through an area I used to play at as a kid.  It was great to take the girls there too.  It was a pretty flat walk so no one complained and 3/4 of the crew made most of the walk themselves.  It was one of the best hikes ever, on a great weather day. The day ended with my girls helping MaMaw put up her Christmas tree.

Like all good things, this weekend had to come to an end.  The girls got up early and left to try and settle back in for our last few weeks in Lexington.  I stayed around at Mom and Dads, just to hang out.  Once they left, it was amazingly quiet in their house.  It seemed, big, silent, and empty, without the girls.  The three of us talked about life and you could tell things were changing.  Us Ayersmen don't do well with change and this one is no different.  With the move to Chicago soon, things will change.  We will no longer be a short ride from Mom and Dad's, an even longer ride to Nashville.  I think this hurts my Mom and Dad more than they are letting on- it hurts me too.  We are all excited for the adventure ahead, but it is bittersweet and I think it hit us today.  When I finally pulled out of the driveway their were tears in Mom and Dad's eyes which hasn't happened in a while.  It was one thing when we left Louisville for Lexington, this is something totally different.  When I looked back and honked like I always do, I could see them standing their waving like always.  After hanging out with their grand babies, I think they realized how important it is for them to make the effort to get up to Chicago.  Especially after Baylor Grace asked PawPaw to sit next to her at dinner two nights in a row.  Blowing him a kiss when she left helped too.  I think we all appreciated the time we shared a little bit more than normal because we know that it won't always be that way.  It was sad for me too, sad for the same reasons, and sad because I saw that look in their eyes.

I went to the mall with my girls later on Sunday, something we always enjoyed doing.  While we were at the mall we saw a mannequin with purple hair.  We had to explain to Caroline that people don't really have purple hair, it was just for show.  The next mannequin model had white hair.  Brooke told Caroline that people don't really have white hair either.  Caroline said "nope, I know someone with white hair.  It is a boy (pause) he is a grandpa (pause) it is PawPaw!"  Later on the ride home Baylor Grace said, "I miss MaMaw and PawPaw."We told the girls that  we can Skype if they want and that we will see them soon.

It was a great weekend and I realize that nothing will be the same.  Yes, things are changing, things will be different, but that doesn't mean they will be worse.

2 comments:

  1. I now understand that you are doing this blog-thing over the years just to make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great weekend. hard to see it end, but memories last forever

    ReplyDelete