Monday, November 7, 2011

My Mom- our hero!

As a Christmas gift to my four young grand daughters, I promised 400 scarves, 100 for each grand child... I always say a little prayer for each person who gets one of my scarves, because you can never have enough people praying for you when you are in harm's way in any way, shape, or form. I consider being able to supply these little bits of "home" a privilege. Thank you so much for all y'all do. --Nina Ayers

Thank you Nina for expressing so beautifully how we all feel. My scarf helpers and I marvel every day at the tremendous generosity of so many people across the nation who spend countless hours and pour love and best wishes into each scarf and hat they so lovingly create to send to our heroes in harm's way.

I wanted to share the excerpt above from a website called Operation Gratitude that mentioned and complimented my mother for all the hard work she has done this past year.  I normally say things like "greatest Ive ever known," and "hero" when talking about my father.  Without question, the same can be said about my mother, proof above.

She has spent the past year knitting 100 scarves for each of her granddaugthers to be sent to the troops in Afghanistan.  That is 400 scarves....400 HUNDRED! Wow, I am so damned impressed and proud of my mother.  She has a lot of hidden talents.  We all know she is a great cook, but she is also a good painter, handy around the house, and can carve up some great scarves for our troops.  There are a lot of things you could (and should) do for our men and women over there.  This is such a unique and special item, I know there will be a lot of men and women who are positively effected by my Mom's hard work over the year.

Great job Mom, we love you and are so proud of you!

3 comments:

  1. She is so amazing she simply takes my breath away. She hand writes a card with every single scarf. No wonder my heart goes thump in my chest when she walks in the room. The troops over there love the scarfs. We have seen pictures of them wearing them. It is cold in the winter and cold at night. Thank God for them all and thank God for Nina. She is a hero --you are right Boomer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do flatter me so. Since Tim started in the Diaconate I have been asked, "What is your mission?" I never quite found the right fit at church and people in the church groups tend to not consider being a docent at Locust Grove and teaching history to children a true mission of God. I do, and I won't give it up, but about a year ago I somehow received this link, believe it or not I think it was on the Newfoundland message board, and it struck a chord for me. It is my mission, and no one can argue with me on the subject. I now have Locust Grove volunteers doing scarves, too. It's something I can do, and it's something that does make a difference for our troops who are so isolated and so far from home. Maybe next year I'll hit 500. I'm on number 8 now, but that doesn't mean I need another grand child. Four in the same house are quite enough, thank you, and bless you for them. Maybe I'll introduce the people at church to Operation Gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost forgot to mention that I am able to do all this thanks to the marvelous generosity of Stephanie Hansmann (God rest her sainted Polish soul) and Dan and Kathy Parker who donated about 12 trash bags full of yarn. I am now motivated to use it all!!!!

    ReplyDelete