Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dinner is SERVED!

One of the things I enjoyed the most growing up was eating at the dinner table.  My family, at all costs, ate dinner every night we could...together.  Sometimes the TV was on, sometimes it wasn't.  When it was on it was because we were watching the news.  I think much of the reason I am who I am today (faith, politics, sense of humor, competitiveness, etc) is because of the conversations I had with my family around that table.  Most of the time was spent with laughter, some time was spent with slightly more than your normal inside voice, issues were discussed, issues were debated, my own thoughts were always encouraged.  The dinner table has meant so much to me that I have decided to help a good friend make my own dinner table (a future project and blog I am sure).  That way, no matter what happens, my girls know what was one of the most important pieces in our house to me.  Dinner was, always has been, is still, very special to me.

Being around the table is something I want to my girls to experience as well.  In fact much of our dinners are replicas of the dinners I had when I was kid.  We start with "prayer hands" and the Catholic Grace, then we all make the sign of the cross- in various ways of course.  We then eat and must eat pur food if we want a snack the rest of the night.  A glass of milk is encouraged but if you don't drink milk, water is the only other option.  Just like when I was growing up.  There are times when Brooke and I just stare at each other because the three girls, even the baby, are jabbering up a storm.  Despite the noise and the chaos, the importance of the action of sitting around the table is being instilled in them, perhaps without them knowing it.  "Get in your chairs," is one of the happiest moments of the day for the girls.  By dinner they are all starving and cant wait to get into their seats.  It is one of the happiest moments for me too and it has nothing to do with how hungry I am.  I hope that someday down the road the girls will go running to their chairs, not just because they are hungry, but because they look forward to talking with their parents.  Just as I STILL do whenever I get the chance. 

Yesterday was one of those great days.  Brooke cooked homemade beef stew in the crock pot.  The smell lingered throughout the house all day.  It was one of the best meals she has ever cooked and one of the best meals I have had period.  I teased her to see if she still knew how to cook, truth be told the new baby has gotten to Brooke more than the previous babies.  She has been off her feat a lot more and dinner has been more of a struggle than normal.   The good news is I can see a difference in Brooke lately, she is feeling much better, and because of her cooking last night- we got to do something I love so much.  So a big thanks to Brooke and Im glad youre feeling better.  While the dinner was awesome, I thank you for continuing something my Mom started (who is a great cook too) many years ago and is very important to me.  Cooking up the time spent together.  That fills the heart, while the food fills the belly.  We make sure to pass the food all in the same way and I don't have to eat the salmon croquettes.  Just like the old days. 

5 comments:

  1. This post affirms something that we did right with you all. It took a lot of work sometimes to get us all around the table every night, and there was a good reason for it, which I know you know. It's the best place in the world for family and life lessons. It's a place to learn civics, current events, and family. I believe, with some modifications, we got the idea from the Kennedy family. If it worked for them, with a lighter touch, it could work for us, and I'm glad it did. But I still wish you liked salmon croquettes, even though it was your one choice that you didn't have to eat. But, you did it the brussel sprouts - at least one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. Correction. You did EAT the brussel sprouts. -- Note -- they had to eat everything on the table. At least a bite, and they would fight over the bowl of brussel sprouts trying to get the smallest one. Also, they each had one thing that they never had to eat at all. Boomer's was salmon croquettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a very important time.Fun, laughter and sometimes life's lessons. Of course, there was always the famous "Can we have a food fight"? Answer--yes but you clean it up. So the fight was on, Nina and I continued the conversation, Tom was appalled and just a little scared, God love him,and the dogs were in hog Heaven. Nothing was broke, you all did clean it up and your mom and I went along as though it was an everyday happening. Life's lessons. Fun, laughter, security, and knowing you are loved are for more important than a little sauce on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, I think the security of it all is important and maybe I didnt realize it till I just read it.

    And for the record, we had to eat TWO brussel sprouts, not just one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you would know all the details. Two is even better!

    ReplyDelete