Friday, October 1, 2010

Do-Do

Tradition is big in my family.  Im sure all families say that but it REALLY is in mine.  I must give my parents a lot of credit for not only emphasising tradition since I was a kid, but also adjusting just a little now that I have kids of my own. Mom, Dad, Patrick, and Sarah- all have been great about adapting our traditions to fit 3 and 1/2 kids here in Lexington.  There were some traditions that I will never forget and always cherish.  When we drove to Florida (which we did every time except one- a tradition into itself) no matter what time of day it was we would stop at Valdosta.  That way we could get up early in the morning and stop at the Florida Welcome Center and grab all the OJ and free brochures.  We could never listen to Jimmy Buffet until we got to Florida state line- then we always had to listen to Margaritaville first.  We always went to Moore's the first night.  We could never listen to Xmas music till Thanksgiving but we always had a fire in the fireplace and the music on that night.  I could go on and on about things that some people would say were just habits.  To us they were more than habits and by saying that they were just habits does not do them justice- there was meaning behind all of it, therefore making it tradition.

Now that I am older and have a family of my own I am trying my best to be respectful of my wife's family traditions and incorporate some of our own.  We still on get one gift to open on Christmas Eve, and it is the same thing it was when I was a kid...pajamas.  We still listen to Margaritaville when we cross that state line, but it might be at some odd hour because with 3 kids we just want to get there.  Moore's is always on the menu the first night. 

Anyway, yesterday was a big day for me- I embraced the fall.  My tradition is now well over 10 years old.  When I was a freshman in college at UK I came home often.  One of the times at home during the fall my parents were watching a John Denver live concert.  I laughed and couldn't believe they were glued to the set.  To me, John Denver was a relic and hadn't had a good song in years.  Outside of his Christmas album there wasn't much to listen too when in came to John Denver.  After that weekend, I had rushed out about the CD of the concert my parents were watching.  I was a 100% John Denver fan.  For some reason that CD became my fall CD that I listened too every time the fall came.  It takes me back to going home during college in the fall with a fire in my parents fire place (which brings up all sorts of memories).  It brings back inner warmth.  It also is my accepting that my shorts days are almost over for the year, the leaves are going to fall, the house will be decorated, and Santa is eventually coming.  All great things for my family.  So yesterday was just that day, with the nip in the air I popped that CD in there for the first time and my girls and I drove home from school singing the Best of John Denver Live.  My girls knew two songs on the CD already and it made me laugh because I hadn't realized how much I was passing on to them.  John Denver (Do-Do as my brother would call him) really has some significant meaning in my life.  The first song Brooke and I danced to at our wedding was For You, one of my favorite John Denver songs.  Both Brooke and I had a passage inscribed in each others wedding rings, both were song lyrics, both were different John Denver songs, neither was coordinated. 

Its funny, some traditions you make sure to hammer home, some just happen over time.  Regardless, if its to teach your kids something important, or bring you back to a place and time, traditions are good. Thats what connects MaMaws and PawPaws to their grandbabies.  And while sunshine on your shoulders might make you happy- poems, prayers, and promises do it for me.

Come let me love you, let me give my life to you.  (needs sound)

3 comments:

  1. WOW, WOW, WOW, nothing else to say--I love you and your mother and I are proud of you and thank you. Light in a night in the forest, like a mountain in springtime, like a walk in the rain, like a storm in the desert,, like a sleepy blue Ocean--you fill up my senses, come fill me again. He was really good, a crappy pilot, but a hell of a performer. We saw him in concert about 5 times, always a great show. His music did impact a generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditions are what forms you as a person and a family. Ask your mother what we talked about at dinner tonight. Great post, very meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grandmother that you never knew loved "Thank God I'm a Country Boy". She started singing John Denver to Patrick from the very beginning. She would have loved singing it for the rest of you guys. I have always loved John Denver, but the clincher was when we were at about our third John Denver Concert, in about the third row, and he sang "Annie's Song" to me. I think I levitated right out of the chair. We do have many traditions, and as you go along you and Patrick will come up with more - the more the better. I loved your post.

    ReplyDelete