Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Patrick



I wanted to wish my big brother Patrick a Happy Birthday!  For those that don't know, my brother is 5 years older than me.  When I was graduating from 8th grade, Patrick was graduating from Trinity.  When I graduated from Trinity, he was graduating from Xavier- both times practically on the same weekend.  Point is, we were always in much different stages in our lives.  As a result, Patrick and I were never really close growing up- we weren't really "friends."  Maybe that's one reason why I'm happy to have my girls so close to the same age.  They will play with each other and be friends, something I didn't really have.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not at all throwing stones or blaming anyone for anything- it just was the situation. 

Now having said all that, while Patrick and I weren't close friends growing up, he ALWAYS was an excellent big brother.  In every facet of the game, Patrick was the best big brother you could ever ask for.  He always took up for me when I needed it.  He always taught me right from wrong.  He always watched out for me.  The thing he did that I am most appreciative of- is he always set a great example for me to live up to.  I see a lot of the way Patrick took care of me, in the ways that Reagan does to her sisters.  No matter where I went, teachers and parents expected more out of me because they knew Patrick.  Some little brothers might have shied away from that, I embraced it. I was already a few points ahead of my classmates and friends because of the outstanding groundwork my brother had built. 

Once I got to college, and even after college for the first time were more just friends.  I think he realized he didn't need to watch out for me as much and that I was a man just as he was. Patrick had done his job. While there are many differences between us- sometimes I wonder if we were raised in the same house- I know that any positive choice I have made, my abilities as a husband, my abilities even as father, are partially because of the leadership my brother showed me growing up.  Some big brothers may buy their younger brother beer growing up and that makes the older brother cool.  I'm sure that's all well and good for others but I didn't need or want that.  What I got from Patrick was much more lasting and had a much greater impact then a 6 pack of beer or a fake ID.  I got mentorship, I got guidance, and I got something to always aim for.   Patrick was very much the John Kennedy of the brothers and I was very much the Bobby Kennedy.   So on this Halloween I wanted to wish Patrick a Happy Birthday and say thanks!  You had more of an impact on me than you will ever know.

6 comments:

  1. Wow--you did it again. Very well done and true. You both were fun to raise, always a pleasure, no trouble, and you guys always made your mom and me very proud. Happy Birthday Patrick is right. What he also taught you that you did not mention was loyalty --don't know who he learned that from but he did. Nothing in this world is more important than family. He knew it and he helped teach it to you. Love you both very much. By the way you were in every respect a great "little brother" and Patrick always admired and loved you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I actually thought of that this morning- as I was getting ready I should have put something about loyalty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't add a thing, except that you made me cry again. And, Happy Birthday Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Boomer, this was very touching.

    And you had a big impact on me as well, more than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny, just remember- I tried to stop you from getting your TV stolen.

    ReplyDelete