Wednesday, August 31, 2011

These are her magic shoes


Sometimes the hits just keep coming.  Today, Brooke showed Reagan a new pair of sporty shoes for her to wear to school.  There could be a lot of reactions to these new shoes from Reagan.  Could be happy, could be thankful, could be a wide range of emotions.  What does Reagan tell her Mom and teachers? "These new shoes will help me run fast and catch the boys on the playground."

There are times as a Dad when you feel kicked in the stomach, without actually being kicked in the stomach.  This was one of those times.  When her teacher told me that, I wanted to vomit.  Reagan is 5, catching boys should not be on her mind.  That doesn't happen until she is like 25.  Her Mom doesn't understand why I flip out when I hear stuff like this, I don't think she ever will.  While she doesnt fully understand, I think she knows why.  Only the Dads of little girls will understand.  You know its going to happen, you know that there is nothing you can do to stop it, but it still hits you like a ton of bricks when it does.  You have this battle that rages inside of you.  Its an inevitable part of them growing up and there are parts of you that are thankful.  Thankful she is at a good school, thankful she is healthy enough to run, thankful enough she can see the object she is trying to catch, thankful enough that she isn't backing down.....even to boys.

Way to stand on your own two feet Reagan, deep down your Daddy is proud of you.  As much as I hate to see you growing away from me, I know that in some ways it is because I am doing my job as your Daddy.  A Daddy daughters relationship is very much like the story of The Phoenix.  Just because with each passing day you become your own person,  It still hurts and I'm sure it always will. However, I have something they will NEVER have, I loved you first.  There is no doubt in my mind that no matter how big you get, now matter how many boys you chase, a piece of my heart will always be yours. 

2 comments:

  1. She is already looking ahead. Sorry Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you said about daughters and Fathers is so true--(I guess)

    ReplyDelete