Thursday, August 25, 2011

Today I am a proud Daddy.

Regan has now been to school for two weeks and is doing really well.  She has a girl in her class named Grayson.  This new classmate has a dehabilitating muscle disease that will eventually send her to a wheelchair.  As a result, Grayson must hold the teachers hand whenever they walk anywhere for stability purposes.  Reagan noticed this early on, she thought it was strange that this girl always held her teachers hand.  Brooke, being a teacher at Reagan's school, knew the story and explained it to Reagan.  Brooke has an amazing ability to explain anything to kids Reagan's age.  She thinks of ways that I wouldn't begin to think of which probably explains why she is such a good teacher.  Reagan accepted Brooke's explanation and we didn't hear another word about it.

In Reagan's class her teacher gives them "pebbles."  These are essentially coins. You get them for doing things the right way or doing the right thing.  Once you accumulate enough pebbles you can buy stuff.  We do the same thing at the house which is how we got a trip to Chuck E Cheese's this week, courtesy of Baylor Grace.  Today Reagan comes home and tells Brooke that she got 3 pebbles when everyone else got 2.  Brooke asked why and Reagan said that she got it because she helped Grayson get her pebbles.  She later said that Grayson probably could have gotten them but she wanted to make it easier on Grayson and save her the effort. She didnt want Grayson to struggle.  She said it in a matter of fact way, like it was the normal, appropriate thing to do.

I was floored when Brooke told me this, almost to tears.  I am not entirely sure I have ever been as proud of my kids as I was of Reagan for her actions today at school.  Being a advocate is a tough road and sometimes a lonely road.  But there is never a wrong time to do the right thing, and I was so proud of the way she handled that.  She is getting to be a big girl.

P.S.- FRIDAY UPDATE.  Reagan's teacher told Brooke today that she was so impressed with Reagan and that Reagan has really taken Grayson under her wing.  She did this on her own, such a good kid despite all my attempts to ruin her.  Thanks Reagan for giving us hope!

4 comments:

  1. You always hope your children do the right and good thing. Yet some time when they do you are blown away, but proud. So proud of her, and her parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's great Reagan!! As a special needs mom, it sure is nice to know there are loving kids like her around. Wish they were all like that! On another note, this is interesting that Seton has a child with physical needs. Not many private schools do....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed and proud that she did it in a casual fashion. No big deal. Just what you do. I have always said that your girls are meant for special things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I wish I had known when I talked to her! She is such an awesome kid- you guys (as a family) bring tears to my eyes... you are so respectful and supportive to each other and that's why it is seen so easily in your beautiful kids. xoxo

    ReplyDelete