Thursday, August 18, 2011

What a powerful video

I saw this video this morning and was moved to tears.  I couldn't help but think of my Dad.  Dad pretty much had one hero his entire life, his father, my PawPaw.  They were always so close in every way you want a father and a son to be.  When I heard this song, I couldn't help but think of my Dad, alone in a hospital room, holding his father's hand as Cancer finally took PawPaw from us.  There was no desire to bring PawPaw back, finally he didnt hurt anymore, finally he was Cancer free.  I also thought about Dad outside in a cold waiting room as his wife (my Mom) of so many years went into surgery to remove some Cancer they had found on her.  Man, what strength Dad has shown through all of this.  Even though the endings were different for each case, did Dad "love them through it" or what?

I thought of Pops too.  He had Skin Cancer twice (the real bad kind)...it pushed him to the brink to where he almost gave up.  But he fought back to see his kids grow.  I didn't know him them but I suspect he was more upset when his wife (Mimi) of so many years was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  He was on his way to my house when they found out.  We were all there when they arrived (my parents too) and we just cried together, hugged each other...we loved them through it.

I was really touched by two lines in the video "when your diagnosed with Cancer, everyone around you is diagnosed as well."  Also, "all I wanted to do was to live to raise my children."  Wow, so true.  I think this video is not just a video for the Cancer survivors, those who were the tip of the spear in the Cancer battle.  I also think this is a song/video for those people like Dad and Pops who...by the Grace of God, kept things together as their soul mates and their heroes were fighting this disease. 

You can't survive in this world alone....you have to love each other through it.    Jimmy V, who himself was taken by Cancer, said we should do three things every day.
1) You should laugh every day
2) You should think, spend some time in thought
3) You should have your emotions move you to tears. 

If you do this 7 days a week, you are going to have something special.  Thanks to all those who never gave up during their battle with Cancer and who are still here today to celebrate another day.  Thanks to all those who sat there bedside, on a bench, in a waiting room to support their loved ones.  You are an inspiration to us all.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Your Mom is crying. I am so moved. Thank you. And to all those dealing with this terrible disease, we love you and are pulling for you. Even if we do not know you--ask and we will be there. Wonderful job boomer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about that night, at 2:00 AM, in his hospital room, I prayed not for a miracle but for his suffering to finally end. Holding his hand, all alone that night I realized that my Dad had very nice looking hands for a man. Large but without any blemish ,and long fingers with clean fingernails. He would have made a great piano player. I also thought of those hands holding a ball, to teach me, hugging me, to comfort me, shaking while holding my Law School Diploma. And holding Nina's hand when we buried my Mom. Hands are important and tell a lot about a person. His certainly did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tissue Alert on everybody. Crying again as I read the above. Beautiful, Boomer, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete