Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Today I was a sad Daddy....

Today was sort of a sad day for Dad.  I woke up and took the big girls to school so that Brooke and the Baby could "ease" into the day after a rough night last night.  I normally enjoy taking the girls to school because its our time before the craziness of the day hits us.  Today they were unusually quiet which meant either there were some nerves or they were tired.  Regardless, I even enjoyed the silence with them.  We get to school and Caroline goes in first.  I give her a hug and kiss, tell her I miss her already, and off she goes.  She doesn't even look back.  Then its Reagan's turn.  She hugs me, tighter than Caroline did, and is slower to let go.  I tell her I love her, miss her already, and to be good.  She takes off and about 3 steps later, turns and waves with a million dollar smile.  She then runs into class and disappears into the school day. 

Then it was Baylor Grace's turn.  We were the last ones there today, so all the kids were already in the class room and it was sort of crazy. We get to the doorway and she plants her feet into the ground and begins to cry.  She wont move.  She isn't really saying anything but you can tell she doesn't want to go in.  The last thing I want is for her Daddy to choke and have the "what do I do?" look on his face.  I scoop her up and take her to her cubby.  We look at her whoosta (rooster), I take off her pack pack (back pack) and attempt to get her to sit at a table.  She wants none of that.  She gets the bear hug on my right leg going, with her tears being soaked up by my shorts.  Her cry is only intensified when Ms. Estep trys to pick her up to wash Baylor Grace's hands.  I told Ms. Estep it was fine but truth be told it was heartbreaking as a Daddy.  I could only imagine the feeling if that was occurring because of something serious, as opposed to just school.  Ms. Estep said Reagan did the same thing but I don't recall that.  Caroline never really did.  This was a hard one for me to swallow.  I stood outside for a bit to watch and see her adjust.  After Baylor had washed her hands, Ms Estep was showing her around the room and while BG's eyes were puffy and red, I think the crying was about to stop.  I left the school sort of sad.  Your instinct as a Daddy is to protect your kids and stop whatever is making them cry.  I have always said that telling your kids no is one of the best things you can do.  Truth is, that is much harder in practice than in theory.  I wanted to take Baylor Grace home and ease her pain. 

She came running home today talking about how good she was in school, all the things she did, and she showed me her painting she had made.  She may fuss on Thursday when she goes but it wont be long before she will run into the class like Caroline does.  It will get easier and easier, for her at least. 

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Boomer. You are the best Daddy those girls could have. I think I'm beginning to see why God gave you girls instead of boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although, I feel sure you would be great with boys, too, but girls are so much more difficult and you have got IT.

    ReplyDelete