Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Are you from Cyrene?

There are times in our lives when we have such a huge cross to bear that we don't think we can go on.  Sometimes in life that struggle is work related, sometimes it is with your significant other, sometimes it is with an illness, or bills that pile up.  I battle this on a daily basis with myself and even with those I love.  It is one thing to have your own cross.  I get that. I am a man, father, etc. I am supposed to have my cross.  Even when my cross seems to much, I know I cant throw it down because I have mouths to feed and lights to keep on.  So when things get difficult, you swallow your pride and keep your mouth shut because as Mel Gibson said in The Patriot  "I am a parent, I havent got the luxury of principles."  We all have to find our outlets that essentially help us carry those crosses.  Sometime we turn to things that destroy us, like booze, women, or drugs.  None of those things will carry the cross for us, in fact they often contribute to making our cross heavier.  So we find our outlets, hopefully healthy outlets.  I had a bad day yesterday, and as I sat on my back porch and watch a dog chew on a stick, two girls playing in the yard, one seeing things for her first time, and my pregnant wife planting tulips for the spring, I realized that is my "Simon."  I am not talking about a self righteous English dude from American Idol, I am talking about  Simon from Cyrene, the person taken from the crowd to help Jesus carry his cross.  After the torture Jesus had endured, he could no longer carry his cross- it was Simon who took on that burden.

So I have my outlet, that which helps me forget the bad day and keep things in perspective.  What I am struggling with though is when I see loved ones with their crosses and there isn't much I can do about it.  I may never know why life has played out the way it has but I cant help but be angry when I see people I care so much for struggling to make it through the day.  This isn't some Extreme Makeover:Home Edition story, these are people you know and love.  So I guess I am asking for help- how do you deal with those crosses when they are on someone else?  I want to help be their "Simon" but I am not sure there is much I can do.

4 comments:

  1. Wow--very well said--Damn impressive and so true. As men, husbands and fathers we get up every day and slay the dragons. But boy does it get old. Hang in there --you are a great husband, father and son. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best way is too simply let those struggling know that you love them, you care and are proud of them and support them. It will not help with illness, money, job, internal problems or addictions but it is worth something in the final analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you care and see the problem makes you special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said. I think that even if the problems are ones you have no ability to "FIX" you can give love and empathy and support, and that will always help.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete