Monday, September 6, 2010

Facebook


This past Saturday was my birthday.  It was as good of a day as could be under the circumstances.  Just about all of my family was here, including those from Tennessee.  Facebook can get you connected with long lost friends and keep you connected with good ones that live across the country.  It is an easy way to share pictures of your life and keep up to date with others.  One of the neat aspects of Facebook is the ability to list your birthday and therefore receive a flood of well wishes on Facebook.  Not only can you list your birthday on Facebook when you get on your home page it alerts you to any friends who have a birthday that day.  I have thought about changing my birthday to see how many well wishes I get on the wrong day (therefore showing me who really knows my birthday and who doesn't) but I have come to appreciate this perk of the Facebook community.

I got a lot of people wishing me Happy Birthday- either by call, text, or Facebook post.  Almost all of these were as a result of Facebook.  While I understand the vast majority that did send their best didn't know it was my birthday when they woke up on Saturday morning until they signed on to Facebook for the first time.  To be honest I am okay with that.  They saw the notification of my birthday and then took the few minutes to go to my wall and wish my Happy Birthday.  They didn't have to do that.  So while it is a simple gesture by many, it is greatly appreciated. Sometimes those simple gestures can make your day better, pick you up when you re down, and make you realize that in some small way people do care.

Thanks Facebook-

Stay tuned tomorrow to a blog I've been working on in my head for a few days.  Hopefully it will help explain some things to those who have been wondering what is going on.  Have a great Labor Day.

2 comments: