Saturday, September 4, 2010

You Did All The Work!

I never really understood birthdays.  See today is my birthday and many people that I care about will come to my house today and celebrate my birthday.  While this is fine and I look forward to seeing my loved ones (I need that more than anything), of all the people involved- I had the LEAST to do with this day 31 years ago.  From Mom, to Dad, to the Doctor, to my brother who had to get yanked out of his first day of school, etc.  I just let gravity take its course!  We don't throw a party every time a kid goes down a slide at the park, do we?  Regardless, today I wanted to thank the person who had the MOST to do with this day and that is my mother. Yeah for a too brief time (I'm sure) my father is partially responsible with my birth but I wanted to thank the person who carried me and brought me into this world.  Also, the parent who was there when I was born- "go ahead Tim take that day trip to Atlanta for work I'm SURE he wont be born today."  Anyway, birthdays should not just be about the babies born that day but the mothers who sacrifice everything to bring them into this world.  Having seen this first hand three times in my own family and knowing just how special, difficult, precious, taxing, this whole process is- THANKS MOM.  You did all the hard work and were always there from day one to this day.  From cleaning my bottom when I was a kid, to editing my papers to this day- you have been one of the biggest influences on my life.

So on my birthday I wanted to give a special thanks to Mom (MaMaw).  I love you and am very thankful for all that you have done, today is your day too!

3 comments:

  1. Brief??Brief?? It was a great 15 seconds. What in the hell is wrong with you? You are right about one thing--Mom's are the best. Mine has been gone about 34 years and I miss her everyday. She would have loved you. She love Nina and Patrick--even for the 14 months she was alive after he was born. Your mom and almost all mom's are your best friend. Always love and cherish her and Brooke and Sparky etc. And by the way--now that I think about it--it was at least 19 seconds, but did seem longer--much longer to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. This gets me back for the birthday card I sent you. Yes, you made me cry. BTW it all was/is my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs A. is a first ballot Hall of Famer in the Mom's Hall of Fame no question. Few people I know are as gracious, welcoming, and patient (good trait for the Ayers Clan if an outsider can say).

    And makes a hell of a batch of sweet tea! Almost as good as her husbands Manhattans.

    ReplyDelete